Mr. T's "Old-Timey Baked Beans"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
They look good. Beans are a Saturday night staple here in Maine.  Baked beans hotdogs and biscuits or brown bread.  Try putting your pot of beans under a shoulder when you make pulled pork for some extra flavor.  For those that would like them less gassy dont use the reserve liquid from boiling, use fresh water.  I am a bean farmer in Maine.

They look good. Beans are a Saturday night staple here in Maine.  Baked beans hotdogs and biscuits or brown bread.  Try putting your pot of beans under a shoulder when you make pulled pork for some extra flavor.  For those that would like them less gassy dont use the reserve liquid from boiling, use fresh water.  I am a bean farmer in Maine.
Thank you MEBeanfarmer and welcome to the forum.

We have not experienced a problem with increased flatulence after having these beans. I contribute that to not using the soaking water to boil them in. When cooking, there is a noticeably improved taste in the beans when the boiling water is used rather than fresh.

There is  plenty of flavor from the salt pork although I'm sure you could eliminate the salt pork and place them under a butt while cooking.

T

I don't eliminate the salt pork, but leave it there, it would be a shame not to have it in your beans. I prefer Maine yellow eye beans for baking,  they have a mild bean flavor and a creamy texture.

I don't eliminate the salt pork, but leave it there, it would be a shame not to have it in your beans. I prefer Maine yellow eye beans for baking,  they have a mild bean flavor and a creamy texture.
I would be afraid of too much grease which could create some real sliders.
th_crybaby2.gif
  Haven't tried the Main beans. What I do like about the Great Northern's is, the flavor, and how they tend to hold their shape.

T

I haven't had that issue yet.  The yellow eyes are a bit softer.  A marfax bean stays firm and has a beanier flavor.  It is more of a downeast bean. The fishermen in Columbia Falls love them.  

I can't stop thinking about how delicious these must be!  If next weekend's weather holds to what is currently being forecast I am going to smoke some baby backs and would like to compliment them with this side dish.  With that being said I have two questions:

1.) What are y'all using for "salt pork" and where are you getting/buying it?

2.) Any thoughts/concerns with putting these in the smoker (18.5" WSM) uncovered for the last hour at 225/250°ish underneath the ribs for the last hour or so of their cook? I will be using hickory chunks for smoke, fyi.

I can't stop thinking about how delicious these must be!  If next weekend's weather holds to what is currently being forecast I am going to smoke some baby backs and would like to compliment them with this side dish.  With that being said I have two questions:

1.) What are y'all using for "salt pork" and where are you getting/buying it?

2.) Any thoughts/concerns with putting these in the smoker (18.5" WSM) uncovered for the last hour at 225/250°ish underneath the ribs for the last hour or so of their cook? I will be using hickory chunks for smoke, fyi.
Salt pork can normally be purchased at the grocery store. Ask at the meat department.

I'm sure your idea would produce a good result. The only drawback that may influence the result, is the juices dripping into the beans and not allowing them to brown and get that wonderful light crust. Suggest trying them both ways and decide for yourself which you like.

Enjoy,

T

Brentos260 I picked my salt pork up at WalMart it came sliced in 12oz package.
That will work just fine, cut it into chunks. Keep an eye on the liquid throughout the cook. Use your reserve liquid first then if needed add water, the last being prior to the lid off period.

Good luck and enjoy,

T

Thanks!  One last question:  The recipe calls for soaking the beans over night.  Am I correct in assuming I just need to soak them in water?

Thanks!  One last question:  The recipe calls for soaking the beans over night.  Am I correct in assuming I just need to soak them in water?
That is correct. Use plenty of water because they will greatly expand. Drain and discard the water then use fresh water to boil. If you have any further questions please ask.

T

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky