Mr. T's Dry Brined Thanksgiving Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tom,

I've been thinking about the whole dry brining process.  I understand that a wet brine in done to enhance the moisture of the meat through osmosis.  What does dry brining offer for poultry? Is it similar to dry aging steaks in that it helps concentrate the flavor?

BTW - Thanks again for everything, it was very nice to visit with you and Carol this weekend.
Mr dirt, It was good to see you and enjoyed using the gun on that chicken.

You are correct on the use of a wet brine.  The turkey that I dry brined was an enhanced turkey. The reason for the dry brine was to see what the effects would be on the skin.  Mine was cured for one day compared to the three day cure that dls1 uses.   It was cured in a cooler with a large amount of air circulation, the skin was very dry which in my opinion helped hold the moisture in.

Due to the short curing process, I would not say that the effects of dry brining poultry would be the same as dry aging beef as the positive dry brining effects of beef require a minimum of 21 days.

Tom

What does the additional 2 days gain in the dry brine process?  Does the dry "skin" help trap moisture inside?

I'm wondering if this could be applied to other things like ribs or butts\shoulders.

Last edited:

What does the additional 2 days gain in the dry brine process?  Does the dry "skin" help trap moisture inside?

I'm wondering if this could be applied to other things like ribs or butts\shoulders.
As this was my first dry brined turkey, I can't answer with any accuracy.  You could PM dsl1 and ask him.  I am certain he would be happy to answer your question and post it in this thread.

As for ribs and butts, it would not be different than applying a rub without the spices.

Tom

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky