Moving again. Baltimore!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingUPnorth

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 7, 2017
Michigan UP
Well after a fast 3 years of getting transferred back to my favorite state (Michigan) we got new orders and we are being transferred to Baltimore MD. Gonna be a lot of change, housing looks hard to come by with a family of 5 trying to get a house with a yard for the kids and even a 1 car garage. My oldest daughter will be starting high school there so trying to kid in the housing situation along with getting her in a good school will be even harder. Trying to make the best of it should be some Orioles, Ravens and Capitals games in the future with a ton of cool site seeing in the future just stressing the whole housing situation. Probably will end up with a bit of a drive to work to get what we’re looking for in a house and schools for the kids. Anyone familiar with the area?

Reactions: JLeonard
Sorry. Can't help you with Baltimore, but I have a history of moving a lot as a kid and an adult. As I left the familiar for the unknown, I always told myself, " This could be the best decision someone else made for me."

Have a great move wherever you land in or around Baltimore. Enjoy the adventure.

Ray

Sorry to hear your moving again seems you were enjoying Mich but understand that it's part of the job. My brother in law was at Aberdeen way back when and it was pretty nice but that was around 30 years ago. I think they had either on base housing or housing just off base but that has probably all changed. There was water there where they could launch small boats. I also saw the biggest deer I have ever seen in my life there. On base there were some roads with low speed limits that had I think apple trees right next to the road and the deer were up on their hind legs getting the apples probably less than five feet off the road and they didn't care you were driving right beside them.
Hope you have a smooth move and find some good housing where you need it.

I live just south of Baltimore in Columbia. Very expensive area, but quiet and safe for the most part. Housing here is very expensive, but the schools are the best in Maryland. I don't know where you will be working but I can say most of the suburbs are okay. The further out from the inner city the less problematic. Inner city is a cesspool of blight, crime, and indifference.
Some areas in the inner city are not too bad, but with what you require it would be very expensive. IDK about schools except for Baltimore County. If possible do not send your kids there.
Howard County and Carrol County are great, I cannot speak to East of Baltimore. Anne Arundel County has some great areas, I work with a lot of folks from Pasadena.
Best of luck with relocating, if you need any more information I am happy to oblige.

Steve

I think as mentioned you want to be as far from the city center as possible. I used to visit fairly frequently on business. I think Baltimore proper is about 2!d or 3rd in violent crime. Homelessness is super high as well. I sure did love going to the Harbor though , crab cakes were the bomb.

Reactions: Marknmd
I'm in Maryland as well but in Montgomery County. I'm about six miles from the Howard County line. I think the suggestion above regarding Carroll County & Howard County / Columbia is good. Columbia was built specifically to be a bedroom community for commuters for DC and Baltimore. Lots of farmland in Howard and Carroll. Mountains to the west, beaches to the east. Good luck.

Hope the move works out great. I'm sure you will have good people around you to make it go smooth. :emoji_thumbsup:

I'm in Maryland as well but in Montgomery County. I'm about six miles from the Howard County line. I think the suggestion above regarding Carroll County & Howard County / Columbia is good. Columbia was built specifically to be a bedroom community for commuters for DC and Baltimore. Lots of farmland in Howard and Carroll. Mountains to the west, beaches to the east. Good luck.
Columbia was built for mixed couples as well. One of the reasons we moved here was for the diversity. Culturally rich, great arts and humanities, nice quiet neighborhoods. Only a few areas have some crime. Mostly the older areas closer to the Columbia Mall.

We lived our entire lives in Montgomery County ( Aspen Hill) until 1990. Too much building, very crowded. Still not bad as places to live go, but much different than Howard County.

Reactions: jcam222 and Marknmd
Columbia was built for mixed couples as well. One of the reasons we moved here was for the diversity. Culturally rich, great arts and humanities, nice quiet neighborhoods. Only a few areas have some crime. Mostly the older areas closer to the Columbia Mall.

We lived our entire lives in Montgomery County ( Aspen Hill) until 1990. Too much building, very crowded. Still not bad as places to live go, but much different than Howard County.
Yeah, I'm up just past Olney in Brookeville. Been here since '86. I used to be able to make it to Aspen Hill in 10 mins, now it takes 20. Haha. But out here, I can still fly my drone over the cornfields without leaving my house.

Definitely a lot of cultural diversity in the DC area because of all the embassies. Basically, you can find just about any food in the world here.

One thing though, Baltimore has some great Pit Beef! My favorite place is Pioneer Pit Beef right off Rt 40 just outside and west of the Baltimore beltway.

Last edited:
I live just south of Baltimore in Columbia. Very expensive area, but quiet and safe for the most part. Housing here is very expensive, but the schools are the best in Maryland. I don't know where you will be working but I can say most of the suburbs are okay. The further out from the inner city the less problematic. Inner city is a cesspool of blight, crime, and indifference.
Some areas in the inner city are not too bad, but with what you require it would be very expensive. IDK about schools except for Baltimore County. If possible do not send your kids there.
Howard County and Carrol County are great, I cannot speak to East of Baltimore. Anne Arundel County has some great areas, I work with a lot of folks from Pasadena.
Best of luck with relocating, if you need any more information I am happy to oblige.

Steve
Seconding the Howard county and Anne Arundel county recommendations. I actually really liked Baltimore City, but would only recommend Fed Hill if you have kids. In keeping with the forum, I've found that pit beef was a pretty regional to Baltimore/ MD. If you haven't tried it before, it's worth a taste! Best of luck with your move!

Reactions: noboundaries
Just moved to the Baltimore area myself not too long ago and faced similar challenges finding the right spot for my family. Baltimore has its gems, especially if you're looking for a family-friendly neighborhood with good schools. Ended up finding a great place with a bit of yard space and decent commute times. For moving tips and services, I found a bunch of really helpful info on https://threemovers.com/. The guys saved me a lot of time by providing exact data about costs and no hidden fees. Welcome to the area, and hope you find the perfect spot for your family!

Last edited:
Got a lot of recommendations above... Keep asking them questions... Do some research... You'll land in the right spot (hopefully)... Is there set dates of the move ?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky