Most recent Brisket Cook!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brisket Nerd

Original poster
Feb 19, 2019
Just wanted to post a few pics from the most recent brisket I made. Cooked on my offset smoker using post oak logs and hickory chunks. Seasoning was just kosher salt/pepper.

Cheers!

IMG_20190209_165038374_HDR (2).jpg

IMG_20190209_172009118.jpg

Nice, it looks like you've lived up to your screen name.

Point for sure.
Chris

W:emoji_astonished:w that looks awesome
how long did you cook that one

Thanks! This was actually for a competition I just did so I was a little rushed because I couldn't start until after a judge checked my meat at 6am. Separated the point from the flat at 6am, put both on at 6:30 am once my pit was up to temp, pulled them at 4pm and let them rest for an hour until 5pm.

So total cooking time was a little over 9 hours.

Thanks! This was actually for a competition I just did so I was a little rushed because I couldn't start until after a judge checked my meat at 6am. Separated the point from the flat at 6am, put both on at 6:30 am once my pit was up to temp, pulled them at 4pm and let them rest for an hour until 5pm.
So total cooking time was a little over 9 hours.

Hot and fast still looks awesome we had a comp I did last year that we only had 8 hrs to cook one we could have it prepped and ready to go but uncooked

Just wanted to post a few pics from the most recent brisket I made. Cooked on my offset smoker using post oak logs and hickory chunks. Seasoning was just kosher salt/pepper.

Cheers!

View attachment 388623
View attachment 388624
Looks awesome. I’ve been smoking for about 5 years but have stuck to pork and apps for the most part but I’m ready to try a brisket. Question for you since it sounds like you separated the flat and point before the cook. Is that what you’d recommend for a newb brisket cook?

LOOKS GREAT! Let's talk shop. What IT or toothpick test or? Looks like no wrap either. Bark looks killer.

Looks awesome. I’ve been smoking for about 5 years but have stuck to pork and apps for the most part but I’m ready to try a brisket. Question for you since it sounds like you separated the flat and point before the cook. Is that what you’d recommend for a newb brisket cook?

To quote one of my favorite bbq'ers Harry Soo, that's a 3 hour debate. Lol. That being said, it may yield better results to separate the point from the flat since it's your first cook. The reason I say this is because the point and the flat are often "done" at different times. If they are separate, you can monitor each section individually and pull each of them when they need to be pulled. Another thing is that they will be done much quicker if they are separated.

There's really no right or wrong answer here. I separated in this instance because of time constraints. When I cook in my back yard I usually just leave the brisket whole.

Pros to separation:
Quicker cook
More seasoning/bark on the outside of the meat
Can monitor each section individually to check for doneness

Cons to separation:
More time spent trimming

Reactions: zwiller
LOOKS GREAT! Let's talk shop. What IT or toothpick test or? Looks like no wrap either. Bark looks killer.

Looove talking shop. I usually pull anywhere from 195-210; just depends on when my temp probe feels 0 resistance. In this case it was 203.

I did wrap in butcher paper but only after a good bark had developed.

Reactions: BigTurtle
To quote one of my favorite bbq'ers Harry Soo, that's a 3 hour debate. Lol. That being said, it may yield better results to separate the point from the flat since it's your first cook. The reason I say this is because the point and the flat are often "done" at different times. If they are separate, you can monitor each section individually and pull each of them when they need to be pulled. Another thing is that they will be done much quicker if they are separated.

There's really no right or wrong answer here. I separated in this instance because of time constraints. When I cook in my back yard I usually just leave the brisket whole.

Pros to separation:
Quicker cook
More seasoning/bark on the outside of the meat
Can monitor each section individually to check for doneness

Cons to separation:
More time spent trimming

In theory, as long as you have a probe in the flat, wouldn't it get done before the point always? Then separate and wrap the flat and put the point back on? Is that what you do when you are cooking at home?

In theory, as long as you have a probe in the flat, wouldn't it get done before the point always? Then separate and wrap the flat and put the point back on? Is that what you do when you are cooking at home?

There's a few different heat zones in my pit. I like to position the brisket so that the point is in the hot zone and the flat is in the cool zone so that hopefully they balance out and finish at the same time. This is something I continually tinker with though. I'm my own biggest critic so I'm constantly revising how I bbq. That's what makes all this so fun in my opinion.

Cheers!

View attachment 388623
View attachment 388624
One more question, when you separate pew-cook, are you removing any fat from the seam between the point and flat or just separating? And I have no idea how big the seam or if there is enough fat to have to remove.

One more question, when you separate pew-cook, are you removing any fat from the seam between the point and flat or just separating? And I have no idea how big the seam or if there is enough fat to have to remove.

I trim off all the ugly hard fat that won't render down. Other than that, I'll usually leave about 1/4 inch of fan on. I try to remove as much silver skin as possible on the mostly meat sides.

I think each brisket is different. There is a bend test for this and you want it to bend. If it doesn't bend, it's fatty. I got this backwards on mine LOL and I kid you not there was like a few pounds of fat there...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky