Morton TQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fished

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Cedar Park, Texas. 78613
Hey Bearcarver, is this still what you recommend for curing for belly bacon.
"rubbed them good with 1/2 ounce (1 TBS) per pound of belly.
I also added between a tsp and a TBS of brown sugar with each pound of belly, after rubbing the TQ on first."

This was from you extra smoking bacon.

I have two bellies I want to get started curing tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

Hey Bearcarver, is this still what you recommend for curing for belly bacon.
"rubbed them good with 1/2 ounce (1 TBS) per pound of belly.
I also added between a tsp and a TBS of brown sugar with each pound of belly, after rubbing the TQ on first."

This was from you extra smoking bacon.

I have two bellies I want to get started curing tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

Exactly!!
Why Switch from a Winner. :emoji_bear: :emoji_bear:

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
Fished I’m sure Bearcarver method hasn’t changed if it did he would have posted the changes. Why do you want to use Morton TQ? Do you have cure #1? TQ has several unnecessary ingredients for making bacon. TQ is a favorite for some but many others use cure#1. Personal preference I guess.

• Wow
Reactions: Fueling Around
The first time I made buckboard bacon and belly bacon was with Bear's method, because I already had everything. I liked the results and have never seen a good reason to change. I would try the brine method if I had the frige space, but I don't.

Thanks Bear for the response

Fished I’m sure Bearcarver method hasn’t changed if it did he would have posted the changes. Why do you want to use Morton TQ? Do you have cure #1? TQ has several unnecessary ingredients for making bacon. TQ is a favorite for some but many others use cure#1. Personal preference I guess.
Have you tried curing bacon, ham and such with TQ?

Great stuff.

The first time I made buckboard bacon and belly bacon was with Bear's method, because I already had everything. I liked the results and have never seen a good reason to change. I would try the brine method if I had the frige space, but I don't.

Thanks Bear for the response
:emoji_thumbsup:on dry rub.

I’m not disputing TQ has its place. No I haven’t used it and have no plans to do so. The added nitrate and propylene glycol inTQ isn’t necessary for my needs.
Just curious as to why you'd question someone's use of it.

fished's question was specific to a recipe using TQ.

It was obvious the

Than everyone, one thing I have learned fr this great site is there is more than one way to skin a cat. I like Bear’s for bacon, there’s nothing wrong with t others, it just works well for me

I don't know what happened to my typing on that last post. seems to be missing some letter. Sometimes my fingers just don't seem to be fast enough any more. Myself and my wife liked Bear's bacon, this will be my third time making it.

I don't know what happened to my typing on that last post. seems to be missing some letter. Sometimes my fingers just don't seem to be fast enough any more. Myself and my wife liked Bear's bacon, this will be my third time making it.
He has some outstanding TQ recipes! I also love Pop's Brine for bacon and ham.

Personal choices. Use what you want to use, use it according to manufacturer's specs. if you like it, stick with it! Don't feel pressured by others. Good luck!

I'm a cure#1 guy, that is what I started with & what I continue to use. I think that is the same with the TQ guys, that is what they feel comfortable using. Either way the results are going to be very similar as long as you use the proper amounts!
Al

I'm a cure#1 guy, that is what I started with & what I continue to use. I think that is the same with the TQ guys, that is what they feel comfortable using. Either way the results are going to be very similar as long as you use the proper amounts!
Al
I use TQ, Cure #1 and 2.

each has its purpose.

Started with TQ, and in many instances there is no reason to change.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Than everyone, one thing I have learned from this great site is there is more than one way to skin a cat. I like Bear’s for bacon, there’s nothing wrong with t others, it just works well for me

LOL---TQ Works well for me too, and Mr & Mrs Bear love it. :emoji_bear:

Bear

Reactions: bill ace 350
One of my bellies didn't smell good, so we tossed it out. I have the other one cut in half, rubbed down with cure and brown sugar. Two weeks from now I will cold smoke it. It should be just as good as the first time I made it.

Thanks Ed

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky