Morton Tenderquick?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alan Maples

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 27, 2022
Any of y'all familiar with it? Is it good, something to skip? I would rather use Prague cure #1 in a recipe, but can't afford it.

Can't afford it? Here's a pound of it for $3.75 and I would guess it's about the same everywhere. A pound would last most people a lifetime.
But to answer your question about the TQ, Many find the finish product to salty when using it. But on the other hand some don't. I know Bear used it all the time with good results.
It's a time tested product which works when used as directed.

If you have an Academy sports by you they should have it in 4 and 16 oz. containers .
Dan gave you a good link also .

I have and do use Tender quick for certain things . A alan Maples I saw you involved in the wet curing brine thread . You should use cure #1 for that . I'm a fan of Tender quick , but the directions for a brine or pump ( injection ) that's on the bag is extreme in the ratio of cure to water . The end result will be very salty . So if you were wanting to use TQ in a wet brine I would suggest not doing that , and getting some cure 1 .
Here's an old thread . I talk about adjusting the amounts for brining in post 7 .

Reactions: indaswamp
If you have an Academy sports by you they should have it in 4 and 16 oz. containers .
Dan gave you a good link also .

I have and do use Tender quick for certain things . A alan Maples I saw you involved in the wet curing brine thread . You should use cure #1 for that . I'm a fan of Tender quick , but the directions for a brine or pump ( injection ) that's on the bag is extreme in the ratio of cure to water . The end result will be very salty . So if you were wanting to use TQ in a wet brine I would suggest not doing that , and getting some cure 1 .
Here's an old thread . I talk about adjusting the amounts for brining in post 7 .
I reckon I'll be going to Academy.

I reckon I'll be going to Academy.
Look in the grilling section , buy the rubs and the grinders and stuff .
Just FYI , I bought some once when I was out to get me by . It comes with a " salt shaker " type of top . Take that off and throw it away and just use the cap to close it up . Don't want someone shaking it on their green beans by mistake . I have no idea why they do that .
This is what It looks like .

Reactions: indaswamp
Keep in mind that Mortons and Cure #1 are not directly interchangeable. I keep both around and use whatever the recipe calls for.
I have an apple Tarragon marinade that I made on hand. Might use that on Sunday.

I just used Morton's Tender quick to cure a pork cushion . I ground fennel and anise seed and added it to the cure along with some white pepper . Rubbed on the meat and held 14 days in the fridge . Smoked with apple chunks . It's a good product when used correctly .

20220912_070211.jpg
20220912_070602.jpg
20220912_070549.jpg

Morton's Tender Quick has worked great for me, when Dry curing for the last 13 years.
I use the right amount for the proper length of time, and have never had anything become too salty.
Examples & how-tos are in my Step by Step Index, at the bottom of all of my posts, in my Signature.

Bear

Morton's Tender Quick has worked great for me, when Dry curing for the last 13 years.
I use the right amount for the proper length of time, and have never had anything become too salty.
Examples & how-tos are in my Step by Step Index, at the bottom of all of my posts, in my Signature.

Bear
I have both Tender Quick and cure # 1 now. Planning to smoke a couple of chickens on Sunday.

Cure #1 has a lot more sodium nitrite than Morton Tender Quick which is just .5% sodium nitrite, .5% sodium nitrate, and the rest normal salt and sugar. There are safety limits to how much nitrate and nitrite you can ingest. The Morton product is designed so that the salt taste will limit how much you use to safe levels. While you can overdo it with Prague 1 or 2. There's lots of posts around here about nitrite safety if this is new to you.

I stopped using TQ due to the salt and the sodium nitrAte.
In short cures the nitrate doesn't reduce to nitrite
All of my cures with cure #1 are 1.5% or less salt
I use the Greg Blonder calculators to keep my cure #1 to safe levels and added salt levels to my taste.

The Morton product is designed so that the salt taste will limit how much you use to safe levels. While you can overdo it with Prague 1 or 2. There's lots of posts around here about nitrite safety if this is new to you.
Which is why you should have some idea what you're doing before using any curing salts. Most of us here who do know are more than willing to help.

Reactions: bill1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky