Morel Mushroom Throwdown...???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

karabelb

Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
Grand Haven, MI
Too bad there isn't going to be a Morel Mushroom Throwdown.  I'd enter this dish in the competition.

There's just something euphoric about Morel Season in Michigan.  The temperature is as unpredictable as the morel hunting season.  Thanks to the guys at work that picked some up for me this year as I haven't had a chance to get out myself.

Here is my toast to you....

Smoked/Grilled Chicken with Morel Mushroom wine sauce and Poached Broccolini.

I'd be happy to share the recipe if anyone is interested.

Happy Morel Hunting!

BK

karabelb,  When living in Indiana we would make the annual pilgrimage to your area in hopes of bringing a load of Morels home.  Here in Montana, we manage to get a few, but nothing like were you are.

Sure, post your recipe, can't have too many.

Tom

That looks Great! Morels are a tough find in PA and can be costly. But they are so worth it! Please post the Recipe...JJ

Looks awesome, I'd love to try the recipe out, got a bag of em at home to make something out of.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I would be game for a Morel Mushroom Throwdown......just need you to supply me with them. They are not cheap at all around here!!

Looks like a fine dinner you had.

Here is the recipe... I know if Morels are not readily available this dish can get pricey at $20-$30 / lb for fresh morels.

Enjoy!!!

Smoked/Grilled Chicken with Morel Mushroom wine sauce and Poached Broccolini

INGREDIENTS

3 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast

Group 1

5 tablespoons olive oil
1 sprig  fresh thyme
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
Salt and pepper, to taste

Group 2

2 tablespoons olive oil

4 tablespoons shallots
2 cloves of garlic
2 cups of dry white wine

1 cup chicken stock
8 ounces fresh Morel mushrooms

2 tablespoons butter

INSTRUCTIONS:

In a mixing bowl combine Group 1.

After smoking the chicken breast for 10-15 min (@ 250 Degrees) add the chicken to the mixing bowl to coat and  immediately grill the chicken to finish the cooking process.

In a Dutch oven or heavy bottom pan, sauté the shallots and garlic in the olive oil until golden brown.  Add the morel mushrooms.  The morels will release some of their moisture and as that starts to dry up, remove the mushrooms and set aside.  Deglaze the pan with the white wine and chicken stock and add salt and pepper to taste.  Reduce the liquid by 2/3.  After reduced, add the butter to complete the sauce then add the morels back to the pan to warm up.

Spoon the morel sauce over the chicken and enjoy.

Broccolini Side:

3 cups chicken stock

6-8 broccolini stalks

Bring the chicken stock to a boil then add the broccolini to the stock.  Poach the broccolini for 3-4 minutes until they are tender but still have some bite to them.  (This time I put the broccolini in the same pot that had the morel sauce in it and stirred them around to pick up any last bit of sauce for some extra flavor J)

BK

Man I wish that I could find some around here in SC.  My wife has been looking for them for about 5-7 years and every store that I go in the produce monger has no clue what I am talking about.....even in whole foods.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky