more smoke flavor

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevntri

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 20, 2007
Rockford,IL
How do I get a stronger smoke flavor out of my small GOSM?

I did a butt last weekend. It had a great ring about 1/2 inch wide. I even used 1/2 misquite and 1/2 hickory.

It was done perfect and ran at 225 for 9 hours. I even left the wood a little dry to produce more smoke? I use a larger pan for the wood.

I just dont seem to get the smoke flavor the same as my old Brinkman bullet???

Any thought

I think we need some added info
Is this a new smoker? if so was it seasoned/burned in ?
Were you useing same wood as before?
Never had any problem getting a good Smokey flavor with my GOSM
hower I dont have anything to compare it to either.

I think we need some added info
Is this a new smoker? if so was it seasoned/burned in ?
Were you useing same wood as before?
Never had any problem getting a good Smokey flavor with my GOSM
hower I dont have anything to compare it to either.

This could be the problem. Dryer wood burns faster producing less smoke then damp wood. Also is your larger pan covered or open? The cover helps to keep the wood smoldering instead of burning quickly.

What type of fuel was your bullet, if it was charcoal then you will definatly experience a different flavor with your GOSM. But.....just wondering how your vents where situated? I leave my bottom vents closed and the top about 1/4 open, and the GOSM turns out some very good que. I built a UDS, I can cook a butt on that and it will have a way different smokey flavor. But I would start with the vents, it doesn't take a lot of smoke to produce smoke flavor, keep it thin and blue. Could your chips/chunks have been really old? Are you using water in your pan?

Some would disagree about the dryer wood thing, stating that if you soak it, it just wont smoke until it dries out.

Some would disagree about the dryer wood thing, stating that if you soak it, it just wont smoke until it dries out.

All fresh bought wood. The GOSM is fully broken in. I think I am just compairing charcoal to gas.
Everything tastes very good, I just love a strong smokey flavor sometimes.
I too run only a top for ventilation and use pleanty of liquid in the pan.

At times I have added a couple of briq's to my chip box to achieve that flavor, and it worked okay, you might try playing with that.

I know it is an opinion thing,, but I never soak my wood anymore. I get much better results from dry chips.

One thing I will recomend is throw out the chip pan and buy a cast iron skillet. Put it in place of the chip pan and your amount of smoke will increase greatly. I do not cover mine and am pretty happy with the amount of smoke I get.

I too don't soak my chips/chunks either and it seems to give me a fair amount of smoke and after all I don't want to much heavy smoke either just alittle to give it that smoked flavor. Not like biting into a hunk a of tree bark. But as far your delimma with not enough smoke flavor I would have to say it could be you charcaol were you using real wood charcoal cause that should give you some flavor there too. No are you also running your vents wide open on the top of the smoker now that could be letting all you smoke out also.

My tastes apparently run counter to the majority opinion of this forum because I want more smoke that most seem to. No problem, food would be pretty boring if everyone wanted the same recipe.

I have increased my smoke by filling an empty tuna can w wood chips and placing it ON the burner. A canned chicken can is even better as it holds more chips and fits better. This is in addition to the smoke tray that comes w the unit. The tip re: a couple of briquets on the tray is a good one, they make the wood chunks on the tray burn better at lower temps.

Make sure you do not use green, uncured wood or you will get a bitter taste from the creosote that is even unhealthy (probably can't spell carcenogenic!) I never soak the wood. Wet wood won't smoke until it dries out.

Hope this helps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky