More smoke flavor?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chad Peterson

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 20, 2021
So I built my reverse flow last year & it has been awesome. I’ve settled in on TBS by running wide open intake & adjusting heat by the size of my fire. As you would imagine, my coal bed is pretty small to maintain 225-250. I use 12” x 2” splits to achieve that & it works great, nice & clean. This is a 24 x 40 barrel with a 24 x 22 x20 fire box by the way. Food always comes out killer, but is lacking smoke flavor IMO with such a clean burn.

Thinking to close the intake down some for an hour or 2 initially to let my splits smolder a bit (obviously lowering temps), then getting that clean burn going to cook the meat.

Anyone smoke their cooks like this? Does it help with upping the smoke flavor without tasting bitter? Thanks for any info!

Attachments

• 959D8394-87E1-46BE-8030-D36E222C881D.jpeg
    959D8394-87E1-46BE-8030-D36E222C881D.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 863C33F3-280A-4B10-B419-3BE414520E66.jpeg
    863C33F3-280A-4B10-B419-3BE414520E66.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 762525EC-7EB1-4A85-A727-BE999CAC64D3.jpeg
    762525EC-7EB1-4A85-A727-BE999CAC64D3.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 29
Chad do you have a raised grate in the firebox that you burn the splits on? I start my fire with the exhaust wide open and the intake vents closed down a bit. I start the fire with 4-6 splits and allow it to burn down a bit to a nice bed of coals and usually have 2-3 splits burning at a time and add 1 or 2 about every 30-40 minutes as the fire burns down. Control the temps with the intakes and keep the exhaust wide open. After you play with it a bit you'll learn exactly how she likes to run as far as how far to open intakes and how often to add splits. What type of wood are you burning different woods give off differing levels of smoke flavor. You may need to switch to a wood that has a heavier smoke flavor

Letting the splits “smolder” will impart impart flavor but not the flavor your looking for. 😁 Keep shooting for that TBS.
I wood try setting a tray of water in the hottest side of the smoker (for me it’s opposite of the firebox). I don’t know the science but the extra humidity seems to help with the smoke flavor.
I have also noticed that when I’m tending the fire all day, checking the meat, spritzing etc that when it’s all done and it’s time to eat I don’t taste the smoke as much. Everyone else always says it’s great. The next day when I’m having left overs its like “ there’s that flavor I’m looking for”. It’s like my sinuses get filled and I don’t taste it until the next day when there cleared out.

Reactions: daspyknows
Letting the splits “smolder” will impart impart flavor but not the flavor your looking for. 😁 Keep shooting for that TBS.
I wood try setting a tray of water in the hottest side of the smoker (for me it’s opposite of the firebox). I don’t know the science but the extra humidity seems to help with the smoke flavor.
I have also noticed that when I’m tending the fire all day, checking the meat, spritzing etc that when it’s all done and it’s time to eat I don’t taste the smoke as much. Everyone else always says it’s great. The next day when I’m having left overs its like “ there’s that flavor I’m looking for”. It’s like my sinuses get filled and I don’t taste it until the next day when there cleared out.
I have noticed that about tending the fire all day & tasting better the next day. I’ll try moving the water to the hottest area in the chamber, thanks.

Chad do you have a raised grate in the firebox that you burn the splits on? I start my fire with the exhaust wide open and the intake vents closed down a bit. I start the fire with 4-6 splits and allow it to burn down a bit to a nice bed of coals and usually have 2-3 splits burning at a time and add 1 or 2 about every 30-40 minutes as the fire burns down. Control the temps with the intakes and keep the exhaust wide open. After you play with it a bit you'll learn exactly how she likes to run as far as how far to open intakes and how often to add splits. What type of wood are you burning different woods give off differing levels of smoke flavor. You may need to switch to a wood that has a heavier smoke flavor
Sure do bud! I’ll try that, I always start with a chimney of lump charcoal…dump it all in when it’s ready & let the smoker heat up for about 30 minutes & drop a 12” x 2” split…it’ll run about 250 with intake wide open & exhaust. If I start closing the intake to about half, TBS goes away & smoke kind of just creeps out the stack (draft slows down). If I use a bigger split or 2 that size, it runs hotter than I want (275-300). I add a split when the old one is breaking down (about 25 minutes). I typically use Oak or Hickory…sometimes Pecan. Moisture is typically 15-20%.

Attachments

• A5B120C5-1855-46A8-BCC7-7462E697EEB5.jpeg
    A5B120C5-1855-46A8-BCC7-7462E697EEB5.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 19
  • F3342EB3-7B2D-4C16-A218-D8F46F10F7E6.jpeg
    F3342EB3-7B2D-4C16-A218-D8F46F10F7E6.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 19
My fire tending process is similar to yours. I do not have a reverse flow but a standard off set with tuning plates. I use splits that are 16 to 18 inches long and from 2 to 6 inches wide depending on several factors like how dry the wood is, the weather at the time etc. I start my fires with charcoal and put splits on top of them. I almost exclusively use red or white oak which has a more mild smoke flavor but but the burn rate and heat you get is superb for a stick burner.

I usually let the smoker run for a hour before settling in and adding meat. I add most meat cold as it absorbs more smoke early on. Once the smoker is up and running a small bed of coals about the size of a softball will keep it cruising along. I control the rate of burn through the intake vents. Exhaust is always wide open. Most of the time all I get is a heat signature with and small whiff of thin blue. Once things are cruising along I will add a 4 inch split. I do not pre-warm my wood. Because I am burning so clean most of the time I can allow some smoldering wood now and again. It will only smolder for a few minutes before combustion and I'm back to my heat signature.

As far as the smoke flavor I get I feel the same as others do. After I've been around the smoke all day I don't notice it much. The smoke ring is always there so I know the process worked as it should. Moisture content and the kind of wood you are using are factors that attribute to the amount of smoke you are applying. Higher moisture content will produce more smoke but you don't want too much as to avoid the creosote flavor. Mesquite will impart a much heavier smoke flavor say then the oak I'm using. It's a matter of finding a balance between your smoker and all the other factors.

This is what has always attracted me to stick burning. It always keeps you engaged in the process and provides more satisfaction at the end of the process.

My fire tending process is similar to yours. I do not have a reverse flow but a standard off set with tuning plates. I use splits that are 16 to 18 inches long and from 2 to 6 inches wide depending on several factors like how dry the wood is, the weather at the time etc. I start my fires with charcoal and put splits on top of them. I almost exclusively use red or white oak which has a more mild smoke flavor but but the burn rate and heat you get is superb for a stick burner.

I usually let the smoker run for a hour before settling in and adding meat. I add most meat cold as it absorbs more smoke early on. Once the smoker is up and running a small bed of coals about the size of a softball will keep it cruising along. I control the rate of burn through the intake vents. Exhaust is always wide open. Most of the time all I get is a heat signature with and small whiff of thin blue. Once things are cruising along I will add a 4 inch split. I do not pre-warm my wood. Because I am burning so clean most of the time I can allow some smoldering wood now and again. It will only smolder for a few minutes before combustion and I'm back to my heat signature.

As far as the smoke flavor I get I feel the same as others do. After I've been around the smoke all day I don't notice it much. The smoke ring is always there so I know the process worked as it should. Moisture content and the kind of wood you are using are factors that attribute to the amount of smoke you are applying. Higher moisture content will produce more smoke but you don't want too much as to avoid the creosote flavor. Mesquite will impart a much heavier smoke flavor say then the oak I'm using. It's a matter of finding a balance between your smoker and all the other factors.

This is what has always attracted me to stick burning. It always keeps you engaged in the process and provides more satisfaction at the end of the process.
Thanks! Yes very similar process, next time I’ll try not pre-heating my splits, that little bit of smoldering on every new split may add more flavor. I’ve used mesquite in the past & the family doesn’t care much for it lol. My pit runs excellent & very clean. I used Dave Omack’s recommended formulas & couldn’t be happier. Sometimes I’m just like…where’d the smoke flavor go 🤣. I’m going to build a traditional offset very soon 😁

Sure do bud! I’ll try that, I always start with a chimney of lump charcoal…dump it all in when it’s ready & let the smoker heat up for about 30 minutes & drop a 12” x 2” split…it’ll run about 250 with intake wide open & exhaust. If I start closing the intake to about half, TBS goes away & smoke kind of just creeps out the stack (draft slows down). If I use a bigger split or 2 that size, it runs hotter than I want (275-300). I add a split when the old one is breaking down (about 25 minutes). I typically use Oak or Hickory…sometimes Pecan. Moisture is typically 15-20%.
Try putting that second split it and close the intake some and control the fire that way it will not allow as much air which should bring the fire down in size

Try putting that second split it and close the intake some and control the fire that way it will not allow as much air which should bring the fire down in size
Thanks bud, I’ll give it a shot! That pic was longer splits…I have been using 10-12” inches. Probably just turn my basket sideways up against the intake.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky