More mailbox mod questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Omnivore

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
So I finally went to Home Depot and picked up some flexible ducting (non plastic) and some aluminum elbows. I've been looking high and low for an unpainted mailbox but have come up empty handed. Where are you guys finding these? Or is everyone just using the powder coated mailbox with fingers crossed that the amnps doesn't catch fire? My husband found a heavy duty aluminum pot with a lid that he thought would work well in lieu of a mailbox but I don't feel great about a fire starting inside of that either. I like the popcorn tin solution but those also have a coating on the inside. Am I worrying too much? I just don't want to ruin a nice piece of meat with chemical smoke if anything were to catch on fire.

Far as I know. Everyone uses powder coated mailboxes. I've had a mailbox fire. Caught it in time so other then the handle melting. Which I shouldn't have put on it to begin with. There was no other issue. I have. Since then. Included a temp probe in the mailbox hooked into my Inkbird 4 or 6 probe thermometer. With the high temp alarm set at 150. So if things start getting warm I'll have time to see whats going on. Also, after you've used it a few times the inside will have a layer of creosote so if there is a fire that will reduce the chance of fumes getting at your food. But, fires are far and few between. Mine started because I had my fan running too fast.

When I had my MES I just used the powder coated one. I never had it catch fire and worked great.

Like Steve said , a couple smokes in and it will have a coat of creosote on it. Good to go...

Go with a regular mailbox and then do a seasoning run with it overnight with a full tray and your smoker empty on like 250F. That will generate enough smoke and creosote to coat the entire thing and then you should be fine :)

My Mailbox works Great the way I have it set up, on a post out by the road, at the entrance to the Bear's Den.
The Mailman loves it that way.

Bear

to tell you the truth I don't know if mine is paint or powder coated, never really thought twice about it, like mentioned above run a tray or two of pellets through it and enjoy your cooks.

My Mailbox works Great the way I have it set up, on a post out by the road, at the entrance to the Bear's Den.
The Mailman loves it that way.

Bear
hey bear is yours painted or powder coated, I may be looking for a new box for another mod soon.:emoji_wink:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky