Moo goo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 16, 2016
Sandusky, OH
Ecstatic to post this. Had a few breakthroughs. First, no need for a wok to make this. Any large pan works. The veggies and protein gets blanched in boiling water... 2nd. The chicken stock is indeed what I have been missing. This is so close to my old favorite take out it's crazy. WAAAY better than any takeout near me. This is super comfort food. 3rd. Make the sauce in advance and nuke until thickened before use. This was broccoli, chicken, water chestnuts, and tops of bok choy. Other takeaways for next time: forgo the sesame oil, too strong. Use sliced water chestnuts next time and do not blanch stuff as long. I'd say 30s. I did 60s. This enough for 3 but not 4 people. I used one broccoli crown, one can WC, one BSCB.

Inspiration for this was here: https://thewoksoflife.com/takeout-chicken-broccoli/

DSC_3330 (2).jpg

Looks great Sam . Even with the broccoli . ( you know I sub green beans )
I know the effort you put into this stuff . Looks like you got it figured out bud .
Nice work .

Boy howdy this dish looks great Sam, nice work! The link you posted looks fairly thorough and easy to follow, I'll give it a shot with the patio wok. RAY

Reactions: zwiller
Saved for future reference. Looks really good!
Thanks, I think it tasted better than it looked.
Looks great Sam . Even with the broccoli . ( you know I sub green beans )
I know the effort you put into this stuff . Looks like you got it figured out bud .
Nice work .
Thanks Rich. Broccoli was so done even you woulda ate it LOL That's the beauty of it. Make it how you want. Others players I like for this are fresh mushrooms, baby carrots, bamboo shoots, snap peas. Truth be told, only reason I did this is my local stuff is so weak.

That looks really really good sam! Nice work bud
Thank you sir!
Boy howdy this dish looks great Sam, nice work! The link you posted looks fairly thorough and easy to follow, I'll give it a shot with the patio wok. RAY
THANKS By all means use a wok if you have one but not needed with the blanching. That step just adds to this dish. Was 25F here and my wok setup in the garage so was happy to avoid that.

Some other info. Blanch the chicken last as as it leaves a bunch of protein scum. The sauce is also known as garlic sauce and is great platform for basic stir fry of anything. IMO There is much carry over heat on the cook and would say you wanna take it off the heat about half cooked. This is part of the art of stir fry. Wait a few minutes before you eat it too as it will be HOT. OUCH. LOL.

Thanks, I think it tasted better than it looked.

Thanks Rich. Broccoli was so done even you woulda ate it LOL That's the beauty of it. Make it how you want. Others players I like for this are fresh mushrooms, baby carrots, bamboo shoots, snap peas. Truth be told, only reason I did this is my local stuff is so weak.

Thank you sir!

THANKS By all means use a wok if you have one but not needed with the blanching. That step just adds to this dish. Was 25F here and my wok setup in the garage so was happy to avoid that.

Some other info. Blanch the chicken last as as it leaves a bunch of protein scum. The sauce is also known as garlic sauce and is great platform for basic stir fry of anything. IMO There is much carry over heat on the cook and would say you wanna take it off the heat about half cooked. This is part of the art of stir fry. Wait a few minutes before you eat it too as it will be HOT. OUCH. LOL.
Sup Bud looks like a fine meal. I got some more of the wilfork chicken cubes and some broccoli I am gonna use for some teriyaki next week. Winter is great for asian food imho. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: zwiller
Sup Bud looks like a fine meal. I got some more of the wilfork chicken cubes and some broccoli I am gonna use for some teriyaki next week. Winter is great for asian food imho. Thanks for sharing.
Last stir fry I did was teriyaki. Turned out good. Was half stock half Yashido's. Hot wok needed for that for sure tho.

On the stock. Stock was made with my IP. I did 2 hrs HP chicken parts nat release. Then threw in ginger, garlic, and green onion and LP for 5m nat release. We like it this way. If you do it the way they do on Wok of Life you end up getting bits of it and not a fan. The ginger pieces are the main offender. I advise against box stock as it has "american" flavors in it. Better to use asian chicken powder if not making stock but the stock just makes it IMO. There is a richness to it over the powder. The stock I made gelled quite a bit. Thinking I will run something spicy next time with some Sriracha in it.

Heads up Woks of Life fans... They got a book out. Pic looks nasty here on work PC. Steve H Steve H used some new glass for that shot. Is it blown out on your end? Focus needs work too.

My favorite lens on my mirrorless rig is the Sigma 30mm f/1.4- f16. And use f16 with a tripod. Lately. I've been lazy. And just use my phone.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky