Montreal Smoked Meat and the discussion with SWMBO

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yeah, I missed my big shot at the EOR. Had them on sale for $2.49/lb. Had a nice small one set back for myself and watched unforeseen expenses eat away at my cash reserves until I set it out on the sales floor. On a bright note, made a very happy customer out of little ole lady who wanted the smallest she could find.

Yeah, I missed my big shot at the EOR. Had them on sale for $2.49/lb. Had a nice small one set back for myself and watched unforeseen expenses eat away at my cash reserves until I set it out on the sales floor. On a bright note, made a very happy customer out of little ole lady who wanted the smallest she could find.
I have to plan a mortgage to get brisket around here.

Thanks for the explanation Disco. We just finished an eye of round pastrami so we have a good bit of freezer fare but next time I may try a MSM. That is, if I come across a brisket flat for less than a kings ransom. I get your restrictions from SWMBO. Mine keeps the bacon under lock and key and only doles it out rarely and in limited amounts.

Mosparky, see if you can snag an eye of round for a pastrami. It is pretty lean and doesn't want to finish much above 150F but sliced thin makes a pretty good pastrami.

A lot of commercial Montreal Smoked Meat and Pastrami is made with round now as it is cheaper.

I have no working knowledge of what you just did so I just say .... WOW !!!!

(Go ahead and sneak a little fat on me! Drink a Molson, it will neutralize the effect!!!)

I have no working knowledge of what you just did so I just say .... WOW !!!!

(Go ahead and sneak a little fat on me! Drink a Molson, it will neutralize the effect!!!)
Har! You need a pilgrimage to advance your meat knowledge. Go to Montreal. Find a restaurant called Schwartz's. Bow at the alter of Montreal Smoked Meat!

You already know about Molson's, you're half way there!

Disco

Looks great once again Disco, I'll take a Brador along with it. We used to travel up to Montreal for concerts, fireworks and Brador beer. Higher alcohol content then our Murican beers.

Chris

Looks great once again Disco, I'll take a Brador along with it. We used to travel up to Montreal for concerts, fireworks and Brador beer. Higher alcohol content then our Murican beers.

Chris
Those days are gone! I have friends in Montana and they have some great brew when I go down there. Salute to 'merican beer!

I just bought 2 more yesterday at Shop n Save . Had a whole display case full . Was supposed to be 2 day sale , but I don't think they moved like they thought .

IMG_20171019_093409.png
Wonderful! Marvelous!

Very nice!

About your slicer, What type is it and what size blade? how big of a cutting area does it have? Like a 10 Inch or 25 cm piece of meat? bacon will fit?

View attachment 342869 Wonderful! Marvelous!

Very nice!

About your slicer, What type is it and what size blade? how big of a cutting area does it have? Like a 10 Inch or 25 cm piece of meat? bacon will fit?
It is a 8 inch and it only takes about 6 inch piece of meat but it was a gift and it does a decent job. It is a Cabelas.

Reactions: Rings Я Us
Har! You need a pilgrimage to advance your meat knowledge. Go to Montreal. Find a restaurant called Schwartz's. Bow at the alter of Montreal Smoked Meat!

You already know about Molson's, you're half way there!

Disco

If you want to talk seriously about Canadian beer, here is one of my all time favorites......

Labatts VCP.jpg

Disco that looks absolutely wonderful. I think we are shutting down for awhile in december..( I am hoping ) I may have to try that. Love the ease of it. And yes I agree Schwartz's is the holy grail of MSM. was there a year and a half ago and still remember the taste..... Point for sure....

Troutman, Where did you find that???? I haven't seen that stuff for years!!! I would love to get some of that again for special occasions.....

I have a chance to get one cheap but I think it is the same size. I might wait to get a bigger one
It would be nice to get a full slice of belly bacon but the prices go up precipitously for the larger commercial units.

Disco that looks absolutely wonderful. I think we are shutting down for awhile in december..( I am hoping ) I may have to try that. Love the ease of it. And yes I agree Schwartz's is the holy grail of MSM. was there a year and a half ago and still remember the taste..... Point for sure....
Thanks for the point, AB! I hate big cities. The exception is Montreal. Schwartz's, Dunns, Jean Talon Market, steak frites, poutine, fries in duck fat, fromageries... Yep, I need to get back to some of the best food in the world!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky