Monterey Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smkryng

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 14, 2017
I can remember having a dish called Monterey Chicken in a restaurant with my Grandparents when I was little. Thought I’d give it a try.
I started by marinating 2 1/2lbs. chicken breast in a brine of 8 cups water, 2 1/2 tblsp salt, 1/4 cup each of white and brown sugar, and 2 tblsp of What’s This Cajun rub for 4 hours (could have went a lot longer on the brine). After brining I pressed between sheets of plastic wrap to get a uniform thickness and hit with some low sodium spicy rub I have made up
A0EB92AB-ACC2-4B19-B72F-973247CE676B.jpeg

Next onto the smoke at 225 with 1 row of a pellet tray running PB competition blend till an IT of about 140, about 2 hours.
D59C57E1-FCF4-408C-AE62-E5950B8671CE.jpeg

Switched to a foil pan with a bottle of French dressing( I think Catalina is more common but I couldn’t find any) and bumped the temp to 300 till an IT of 160. I meant to pull at 157 but got caught up doing some other stuff.
9EBFEC37-669C-4F36-92AC-DB2FBCACFA33.jpeg
Topped with cheddar jack cheese, crumbled bacon, and green onions and plated with a fully loaded baked potato
C249C4F4-EEFB-42C8-9315-8796D7300072.jpeg

Looks and sounds great!! I’ve ordered versions of this in many restaurants.
Thanks! I haven’t had this in years, don’t know why I never thought about a smoked version till now.

Reactions: jcam222
Looks good Smkryng! I remember getting something like this at a steakhouse with my grandparents. I’d get the chicken and wash it down with some blue birch beer.

Reactions: Smkryng
Looks good Smkryng! I remember getting something like this at a steakhouse with my grandparents. I’d get the chicken and wash it down with some blue birch beer.
Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky