Money Muscle (KCBS)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyTreats

Original poster
Sep 11, 2018
Hi All -

I am participating in a local smoking competition this weekend where we are following KCBS rules. Smoking 2 pork butts. My approximate timeline is as follows;

-11pm - 5am(approx): Smoke unwrapped pork butts @225 until internal temp of 165
-5am-8:30am(approx): wrap pork butts and put back in smoker until internal temp of 195.
-8:30am-11:00am(approx): wrap and put pork butts in cooler to rest
-11:00am-11:50am: glaze pork butts with sauce and return to smoker at 245.
-11:50am-12:30pm: lay chunks, pulled, money muscle in box for turn in at 12:30.

My dilemma is the money muscle (MM). It cooks faster then the rest of the meat, so I am trying to figure out where it fits in this timeline. What I'm thinking of doing is separating the MM after the first step above. I would still wrap the MM in foil and return to the smoker, but since it will reach 195 before the rest of the pork, I will be able to remove it. It will obviously rest longer in the cooler then, but I think that's okay right? After the resting phase, should I then cut my medallions? I want to glaze the MM and return to the smoker to warm them back up before turn in, but I think it's easier to cut the MM after it's cooled, right?

I appreciate your help and suggestions, thanks!!

I’ve been doing a lot or research on competition cooking, and I hope to get into some KCBS competitions within the next year or two. I’ve never separated a MM before, but plan to next time I smoke a butt. So take this with a grain of salt, some people say not to take the MM all the way to 195. It may dry out. You might even consider separating it and cooking it on its own. If you get your timing right you could turn it in still hot and fresh off the smoker. That’s just my 2 cents. So where is the competition at? I know there is one happening in my hometown soon. I wish I was competing, maybe next year.

The campground that we frequent is hosting one this weekend. Not a sanctioned KCBS competition by any means, but the competitors and judges will follow KCBS guidelines.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky