monday smoke...............

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chefrob

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 13, 2009
az
felt like tacos so i made an achiote marinade by tossing all into a blender until smooth......
dd15ac9b_IMGP0987.jpg

pour over butt and cover for overnight..........
1fc58221_IMGP0988.jpg

did one with my own rub as well.............  

624d4570_IMGP0989.jpg

put them both on in the morning with pecan.........
a26d8d4d_IMGP0991.jpg

then tossed on a chuckie after 4 hours............
85bacf6f_IMGP0993.jpg

then a rib a little later......... 

49bc7eea_IMGP0994.jpg

this one is for tacos......... 

e769581d_IMGP0997.jpg

and this one is for pulled........ 

2e65a718_IMGP0998.jpg

the ribs............
6605d7e9_IMGP0999.jpg

and the chuckie..........
29b90716_IMGP1001.jpg

thx for stoppin' by................

Looks like a rewarding day around the smoker with lots of good food  
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I have had the privelage of tasting this stuff and it is really good.  With all that food I am thinking we need to party at Robs !!

Sexy food Chef Rob!!! Love the cilantro, limes, garlic flavor. Not familiar with achiote though, will be checking it out!

Great smoke. That's what I call filling up the smoker!

Re the Achiote, I hadn't heard of it either, so I googled it. Found the following recipe on mexicanfood.about.com. I don't know what annato seeds are or what they (or this paste) taste like. Maybe someone could comment?

A recipe for Achiote paste that is an ingredient in other Mexican dishes and marinades.
[h3]Ingredients:[/h3]
  • 1/4 cup annato seeds
  • 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
  • 1 tablespoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
  • 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
  • 2 whole cloves
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 5 cloves of garlic, peeled
  • 1/2 cup bitter orange juice (Seville) or 1/3 cup white vinegar
[h3]Preparation:[/h3]
Grind the spices (annato, coriander, cumin, peppercorns, oregano and cloves) in a spice mill or with a mortar and pestle. Blend the ground spices with the salt, garlic and the bitter orange juice until it is smooth. Rub the mixture onto chicken, pork or fish and let it marinate for 4-6 hours then cook as usual. Or use the achiote as an ingredient in another dish.  

Here is th answer on the seeds

Annatto, sometimes called Roucou, is a derivative of the achiote trees of tropical regions of the Americas, used to produce a yellow to orange food coloring and also as a flavoring. Its scent is described as "slightly peppery with a hint of nutmeg" and flavor as "slightly sweet and peppery".[sup][[/sup]

My suggestion would be to go to a Mexican market and buy this. The cost is about $2.50  and you are all done. The seeds are hard to find around here

The Hispanic groceries I go to always have annato; I also buy several different types of chile powders so I can have some change-ups in heat and flavor. Gonna have to try this!! It looks amazing!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky