Mold

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mummel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Massachusetts
So my MES 40 BT is currently being stored in my garage.  It rained quite a lot a few days ago.  It was humid in my garage.  I decided to test my risk for mold. 

The garage was at 71% RH.  It's normally pretty high, at least 60%+.  Nothing we can do.  But we have no mold problems.

So I opened the MES vent wide, put in a hygrometer, and shut the door.  I opened my garage door last night to air the basement.

The garage RH went down to 56%, but the inside of my MES remained dead on at 71%.  And thats without the cover........

So it looks like there is zero migration of humidity in and out of the smoker.  That's bad guys.

So is having a cover basically pointless as I assume I need to leave my door open?  Thats a bummer because I'm sure over the 8 months in the winter the MES is going to accumulate a lot of dust and dingy in the years to come.

Other than that, what do you guys do to prevent mold?  

Last edited:

Nothing. I wash everywhere that the food touches before I smoke and if the smoker is dirty I will run it to burn everything off. A few hours at 275 will take care of any issues. If it gets really bad I run it with a pot of boiling water on a rack to steam the inside then wipe it out. 

Living in Florida it is futile to try and fight the humidity. 

So you think just close the door, put on the cover, and if any mold ever surfaces, burn it at 275?

I guess I need to "knock on wood" when I say this .... I live in Oklahoma and my Smoker sits on my covered patio 12 months a year with a Masterbuilt Cover on it and I haven't had a mold problem ... yet anyhow.

So my MES 40 BT is currently being stored in my garage.  It rained quite a lot a few days ago.  It was humid in my garage.  I decided to test my risk for mold. 

The garage was at 71% RH.  It's normally pretty high, at least 60%+.  Nothing we can do.  But we have no mold problems.

So I opened the MES vent wide, put in a hygrometer, and shut the door.  I opened my garage door last night to air the basement.

The garage RH went down to 56%, but the inside of my MES remained dead on at 71%.  And thats without the cover........

So it looks like there is zero migration of humidity in and out of the smoker.  That's bad guys.

So is having a cover basically pointless as I assume I need to leave my door open?  Thats a bummer because I'm sure over the 8 months in the winter the MES is going to accumulate a lot of dust and dingy in the years to come.

Get a box of Baking Soda cut the top half open,sit it in the smoker it will take most of the humidity out.

Richie

Get a box of Baking Soda cut the top half open,sit it in the smoker it will take most of the humidity out.

Richie
Mmmm good idea.  I wonder how long it will last for.  If I box up the smoker for the winter, perhaps I should put a box in. 

Mmmm good idea.  I wonder how long it will last for.  If I box up the smoker for the winter, perhaps I should put a box in. 
That was my main idea,it will also do the job during the week when not in use. Hope you found this helpful.

Richie

Sounds like a good idea to me also. Although I haven't had a mold problem, I am going to sick a box of baking soda in mine anyhow when not in use. Thanks for sharing. 
icon14.gif

If your really concerned about the relative humidity being too high do what gun owners do and get an electronic or some other moisture absorbing device for gun safes.

-Kurt

I've seen disposable damp rid moisture control containers for a buck at the Dollar Tree.

-Kurt

I live in western Washington state so you know it can get pretty wet and humid during the winter and spring. I store my MES 30 with the top vent and the door closed and under the Masterbuilt built vinyl cover in my uninsulated garage. I've done this for three years and have never seen mold inside the smoker. Where do I get mold? Inside my Weber One Touch Silver charcoal kettle grill that I also store under its Weber vinyl cover inside in my garage. Every spring I have to scrub out the inside of the grill and I also need to scrub the mold off the cooking and charcoal briquettes grates.

I have no idea why mold grows on the inside of the Weber--which I clean out before tucking it away for the winter--and not the MES which I barely clean at all.

Last edited:
Im just worried about mold because I've seen many people post and complain about it.  Under what conditions are these guys getting mold?

Im just worried about mold because I've seen many people post and complain about it.  Under what conditions are these guys getting mold?
Before I read your original post I hadn't read of any. But as wet and humid as the Puget Sound region can get it doesn't hold a candle to what happens in points east including all the way out to Northeast and Southeast.

Well I'm going camping this weekend and next weekend.  FUN, but I would really like to smoke some meat instead!  I'm going to try get my wife to do a weekday smoke up next week.  Going to so Bear's chicken. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky