Moisture making my rub clump

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texomakid

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 6, 2017
Lake Texoma
Been using the rub for years but recently I've had an issue with my rub getting too wet due to the humidity. Any tips and or tricks y'all use? I've tried putting a few crackers in the mix but that hasn't helped. I typically make up a batch of the rubs (naked & Texas) and keep in a plastic containter so it's easier to just sprinkle the rub onto the meat. Hard to do when it becomes a solid chunk! Any tips greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Put some rice in it. Use a shaker that has holes smaller than the rice grains. 

I haven't done this, not much need for it in Arizona, I just thought of it and figured it might work well..

Brown sugar clumps from being dry. The molasses in it gets hard from being exposed to any air. Or being older. A blast in the microwave fixes it.

Last edited:
Brown sugar clumps from being dry. The molasses in it gets hard from being exposed to any air. Or being older. A blast in the microwave fixes it.

That makes since now that you mention that I've come across a post sometime ago stating the guy leaves his brownsugar separate from his other spices until ready to use.

Put some rice in it. Use a shaker that has holes smaller than the rice grains. 

I haven't done this, not much need for it in Arizona, I just thought of it and figured it might work well..
Here in NC lots of restaurants use rice in their salt shakers. 

it seems to work.

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

I posted how to fix the clumps . Microwave a few seconds and done! Good as new.. you can leave an open bag of brown sugar out for a month and will be harder than a brick. Put it in the microwave and it's good as new. Done!

Bring on the clumping! It's not a factor whatsoever.
:yahoo:

Last edited:
We use a piece of bread, typically the crust,  in the brown sugar or demarara sugar jar and it works so should work same in rub.  Besides which: Nothing fancy to buy and who eats crust anyways? 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky