Modified Cooling Rack

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BaldEagleOne

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 10, 2018
To minimize clean-up, some time ago, I bought a pair of cooling racks with trays suggested by Jeff. The racks actually sit down IN the tray, which, is okay for the indirect heat. But with pellet smokers not too good on producing smoke flavor, maybe raising the rack above the pan might help. Attached is my modified rack and tray. On my next smoke, I'll do two items: one on the original config, and the other on the modified config.

I didn't have the equipment to do it myself. Had a sheet metal shop do it. Not inexpensive.

Attachments

• IMG_0657.jpg
    IMG_0657.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 107
Probably will help to get up off the pan a bit. I usually top rack my food with a foil pan on the bottom rack underneath to catch the grease on my pellet grill. I also, in redneck fashion, would have blocked the rack up off the pan with some bricks or something to test the theory out before paying for the mod.

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
I have seen stainless cooling racks with folding legs which help with storage. Also a stainless hex bolt (for the bottom), then 2 stainless nuts and 2 stainless washers at the grate will work for legs.
And you can change the height by getting a set of longer bolts.

I have seen stainless cooling racks with folding legs which help with storage. Also a stainless hex bolt (for the bottom), then 2 stainless nuts and 2 stainless washers at the grate will work for legs.
I had a decent horizontal offset when I first joined SMF and the guys here showed me how to modify the firebox grate using the same method to get better airflow.

And you can change the height by getting a set of longer bolts.
Using bolts would have done the job. I just didn't conjur it. Would have been a lot cheaper, too. I have two more racks. If I ever need to use four, I'll put the bolts on.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
This is what I came up with. Was able to do 9lbs of hamburger jerky.
The bolts are attached at the bottom to the racks so the rack above can be removed and rotated down or up.
View attachment 523455
View attachment 523456
Your idea of stacking is so good, I checked the flanges on my trays, and they will stack. I think I'll have them do the same to my other two racks. Then I can stack 4 for jerky. This is better than the jerky racks that I got from CC. The racks are made in China and poorly finished with sharp ends of wire sticking up. I got a nice cut handling them.
Not only am I a redneck, I'm a cheap one. I got bricks laying in various places around my farm that were already here when I bought it, thus free. Aluminum foil isn't free. :emoji_wink:

Agreed. That or the nicely welded up feet that B BaldEagleOne had done.
Nothing wrong with bricks and we need more rednecks.

Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky