Mock Crab cakes (made with zucchinni)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 11, 2015
Maryland Eastern Shore
Awhile back Bearcarver posted a Blueberry Zucchini Bread and I made mention of the mock crab cakes. Several have asked for this recipe and I had to look for. Well I found it and here it is. Sorry I don't have any pictures of them being made but it is a straight forward recipe. This for sure is a great recipe for vegetarians.

Zucchini Crab Cakes

2 1/2 cups grated zucchini

1 cup fine bread crumbs

1 egg beaten

2 tablespoons minced onion

1 tablespoon mayo or salad dressing

1 teaspoon prepared mustard

1 teaspoon of Old Bay or to taste

mix all ingredients together and form into cakes (4 or 5)

3 or 4 tablespoons fine cracker meal

Roll cakes in the cracker meal and fry in oil till brown.

Hope you enjoy.

Warren

Thanks Warren, I still got monster Zucc's in the garden I would like to use for something other than bread.

Thank You Warren!!
I'll be trying this as soon as I can conjure up another Zuke!!
Like.

Bear

Don't get caught making these, Warren. I pretty sure you can lose your Maryland Residential Status.
Sounds really good and, maybe, an interesting way to stretch a pound of Backfin.
There is a new fish monger out here in the mountains. We have become friendly. He hooks me up with new menu specials for my written reviews and hand picks his best when I order anything. He and his wife make different seafood sandwiches and platters to get folks interested. Crab cakes is a menu staple. I figured I would give them a try. I ordered two Platter, for Bev and I and Zak, threw in an order of Crab Stuffed Mushrooms, on the house. OMG! The closest think to actual Crab in the Cake was they stored the Mix, NEXT to the cans of Asian Crab in the Cold Case!. I have seen folks Stretch the number of cakes they can get per pound of Crab. But these had to be made with 10 pound of Bread Crumbs to 1 pound of Claws Meat! Worst I have ever had. Crazy part is he now, sells the Hell out of them because the locals don't know any better...JJ

THANKS Having just vacationed in Ocean City and tasted the real deal I am on the hunt for a legit recipe. Warren, if you don't mind me asking, how different would your crab cake recipe be from this one?

My real crab cake is different as I don't use any filler just all real crab meat.

1lb crab meat
(doesn't have to be lump I used it all claw meat and body meat mixed together)

2 tablespoons mayo or salad dressing

1 tablespoon prepared mustard

1 large egg

Old Bay to taste

Mix all together trying not to break up the crab meat to much. (I mix by hand gently) Form into cakes (I measure about 2/3 cup per cake) making about 4 - 5 cakes. Brown in oil till brown or you can broil. Making sure they are cooked through because of the egg but remember the crab meat is already cooked before removing from the shell.

Enjoy

Warren

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
Don't get caught making these, Warren. I pretty sure you can lose your Maryland Residential Status.
Sounds really good and, maybe, an interesting way to stretch a pound of Backfin.
There is a new fish monger out here in the mountains. We have become friendly. He hooks me up with new menu specials for my written reviews and hand picks his best when I order anything. He and his wife make different seafood sandwiches and platters to get folks interested. Crab cakes is a menu staple. I figured I would give them a try. I ordered two Platter, for Bev and I and Zak, threw in an order of Crab Stuffed Mushrooms, on the house. OMG! The closest think to actual Crab in the Cake was they stored the Mix, NEXT to the cans of Asian Crab in the Cold Case!. I have seen folks Stretch the number of cakes they can get per pound of Crab. But these had to be made with 10 pound of Bread Crumbs to 1 pound of Claws Meat! Worst I have ever had. Crazy part is he now, sells the Hell out of them because the locals don't know any better...JJ

Yup a lot of crab cakes in restaurants is all filler not at my house. I don't use any filler.

Warren

JJ I will say the thing about the mock crab cake is that they are great for vegetarians. I had some when this recipe first came around and they were not that bad.

Warren

Warren

My real crab cake is different as I don't use any filler just all real crab meat.

1lb crab meat
(doesn't have to be lump I used it all claw meat and body meat mixed together)

2 tablespoons mayo or salad dressing

1 tablespoon prepared mustard

1 large egg

Old Bay to taste

Mix all together trying not to break up the crab meat to much. (I mix by hand gently) Form into cakes (I measure about 2/3 cup per cake) making about 4 - 5 cakes. Brown in oil till brown or you can broil. Making sure they are cooked through because of the egg but remember the crab meat is already cooked before removing from the shell.

Enjoy

Warren

Is that everything?
No rolling in cracker crumbs, like with the "Mock" Crab Patties?
Like.

Thanks Warren!
Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky