Mmmmm Wings!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chickenwings

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 10, 2019
Sadly we're still locked down in Canada so that means no pub wings but luckily the home mades are getting better with practice! Last night I did some up on the KJII and they're SO close to deep fried without all the oil hassle I'll happily eat these any time. Ma likes them too!!

Credit where it's due, I use the method from Serious Eats J. Kenji Lopez-Alt to desiccate the wee buggers first. It's 1 tsp of salt, 1tsp of baking powder and 1tsp of cornstarch per pound of wings that you roll the wings in first and let stay overnight on a rack in the fridge. I don't go overnight since the meal is afternoon. I just prep the wings first thing and let them sit about 10 hours in the fridge.
fridge wings.JPG

Fire up the joe for high heat with the deflectors in place and the rack at the top position. If you've got the slo roller I'd do that but then you need to be temperature conscious as there's limits there. I got to about 450 or so which is the upper limits for the Slo Roller. Be aware that without the slo roller you'll get a higher (significantly) temperature around the edges of your grill than the center. That'll need to be managed to keep the critters on the outside from getting too crispy!
kamado start.JPG

Flip them after about 20 minutes but (as I've learned) you need to keep an eye in between for the outer edges...
kamado flip.JPG

I sauce mine two basic ways although we've tried several. Our favorites are buffalo hot (Franks buffalo sauce with butter - to your taste in proportions but 50-50 is a good start for a relatively mild wing and salt and pepper.

Here's the two types (hot sprinkled with a bit of parmesan cheese - if you haven't done that you just HAVE TO. It's fantastic and a Caesar salad for the roughage....
finished plate.JPG

Thanks guys appreciate the likes for sure. If you like crispy wings I really think the pre treatment helps.

Kenji has a lot of food science blogs on the Thermoworks site. I'll have to try this. I prefer hot thighs. Yesterday I made a pkg of four. The powder Ranch seasoning and salad dressing in the shaker bottle that looks like a parmesan powder cheese container has powdered buttermilk that has the same consistency as cornstarch. It's great on a lot of proteins.

Reactions: Chickenwings
Thanks everybody. I haven't done wings on the K before. Ma's not fussy about the charcoal taste but I'm starting to find ways to win her over.

Yeah we're starting to get some insights to opening up - hope it catches we've all had enough!

Thanks for the comments guys, I didn't plan to post the cook but dammit they really WERE good and I had some pictures for some buddies so I put it up. Hope others try it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky