Mixes with mustard seed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 16, 2016
Sandusky, OH
Friend of mine makes killer venison sausage and is tight lipped about his mix. Fairly certain he buys it and that it has been around a long time. It contained whole mustard seed. Wonder if any sausage pros here might have a guess what it might be. Any guesses? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I'd love to find out. I have yet to find "that blend" that keeps me coming back to the same thing when it comes to venison sausages.

Reactions: zwiller
He has a few different with mustard seed. Snack sticks, polish ,etc.

Reactions: zwiller and mike243
Thanks Winterrider, I think this will be done here at my place soon as some honey do's get done.

Whole Yellow Mustard Seed is common in some types of Kielbasa. Not what I grew up eating but tasty...JJ

Wow, he's a friend and won't share his recipe?
There's a ton of recipes using mustard seed, maybe you can figure out who he uses for his sausage making supplies, then see what that company offers for mixes.

Friend of mine makes killer venison sausage and is tight lipped about his mix. Fairly certain he buys it and that it has been around a long time. It contained whole mustard seed. Wonder if any sausage pros here might have a guess what it might be. Any guesses? Thanks in advance.
I use mustard seeds in my summer sausage most of the time.

If he uses a commercial mix, I wonder why he won't let you know which one. Not like it is his recipe.

Some people are funny like that.

I'll check with friend that owns the local meat shop if he has any suggestions.
Didn't get to the meat market, BUT did run into another friend that ran a meat department for years before changing careers. Now he processes for friends and family.
He has not found any seasoning blend that include (whole) mustard seed.
He adds mustard seed as bill ace 350 bill ace 350 and Winterrider Winterrider to a seasoning blend more for the look than the spice.
After trying many seasoning blends, he uses Curley's

Thanks all so far! The guy is actually pro and his family ran a shop a long time so I bet this recipe is really old. Totally respect him for keeping it under wraps.

Anyhow.............. I decides (as my father would say when he is bragging) to call him and while he didn't give the recipe, I got MUCH more info than I expected. You guys were headed in the right direction and when I think about it, it makes a lot of sense. His family is very german like mine and that alone should have been enough, but I didn't think about it that way, his mix is bratwurst.

Thanks all so far! The guy is actually pro and his family ran a shop a long time so I bet this recipe is really old. Totally respect him for keeping it under wraps.

Anyhow.............. I decides (as my father would say when he is bragging) to call him and while he didn't give the recipe, I got MUCH more info than I expected. You guys were headed in the right direction and when I think about it, it makes a lot of sense. His family is very german like mine and that alone should have been enough, but I didn't think about it that way, his mix is bratwurst.

So he doesn't buy a commercial mix?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky