Mexican Chorizo pizza

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigheaded

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
Philippines
Bread Flour
10% rice flour
65% hydration
.02 ADY
1.5% Diastatic Malt
2.5% salt

The Chorizo grease infused into the cheese, I don't know how much I liked the texture of the Chorizo (or lack of) but the grease was AWESOME. This was my 1st attempt to make a full 16" pizza in my Karu 16. Dough wasn't being nice so I only managed to get it to stretch to about 15", was still noticeably bigger than my usual 14"'s. I obviously don't understand how the math works, but a 16" pizza's almost double the size of a 12". 24 is 12 x 2 no? lol MATH! The crust was great and the pools of Chorizo grease were a lovely change from the pools of Pepperoni grease I'm used to lol. The crust looks kinda burnt in the pic, it wasn't but it was pretty dark. 650f'ish for 4 and a half minutes.

When I make this again I'll cook the Chorizo separately instead of putting it raw on the pizza, it was cooked but a little too mushy. I'll definitely use some of the grease as a finishing drizzle.

Attachments

• chorizopiz.jpg
    chorizopiz.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Bread Flour
10% rice flour
65% hydration
.02 ADY
1.5% Diastatic Malt
2.5% salt

The Chorizo grease infused into the cheese, I don't know how much I liked the texture of the Chorizo (or lack of) but the grease was AWESOME. This was my 1st attempt to make a full 16" pizza in my Karu 16. Dough wasn't being nice so I only managed to get it to stretch to about 15", was still noticeably bigger than my usual 14"'s. I obviously don't understand how the math works, but a 16" pizza's almost double the size of a 12". 24 is 12 x 2 no? lol MATH! The crust was great and the pools of Chorizo grease were a lovely change from the pools of Pepperoni grease I'm used to lol. The crust looks kinda burnt in the pic, it wasn't but it was pretty dark. 650f'ish for 4 and a half minutes.

When I make this again I'll cook the Chorizo separately instead of putting it raw on the pizza, it was cooked but a little too mushy. I'll definitely use some of the grease as a finishing drizzle.
The crust looks perfect for my taste, great looking pie, I love the charred flavor on pizza.
I haven't made pizza in a LONG time, doing Keto has been a little tough at times, but well worth the sacrifices.

Nice work.
Dan

Reactions: Bigheaded
With the Chorizo on the pizza , sign me up for that. Like Jeff jcam222 jcam222 said im in.

Yes it looks like crunchy crust , my wife lies hers like that me, just a little softer for me.

But love me some Chorizo, I have to make some more soon. I love the tange of the vinegar to it.
Would be great on a Mexican style pizza

Reactions: jcam222
I obviously don't understand how the math works, but a 16" pizza's almost double the size of a 12". 24 is 12 x 2 no? lol MATH!
Lol, it’s because it’s a circle, so we use pi (3.14) to find volume. The short and long of it is when you double the diameter of a circle, you basically triple the volume. That is to say that a 24” pizza has three time the area of a 12” pizza.

How do you find that 10% rice flour affects the dough?

Truthfully, I don't know, while I like the dough I never tried making it without the rice flour to compare. Also, this was a new'ish oven to me when I made this pizza so I was still getting used to how to cook in it. I stopped this dough and now make a much simpler, 57% hydration one. The recipe from the famous Joe's PIzza in NYC. In theory the rice flour will help make the crust a bit more crispy. That recipe used rice flour, which I sometimes struggle to find. And Diastatic malt which I can only get online. The new one's just flour+water+yeast+salt and only a 1 day cold ferment instead of 2-3. It tastes great to me.
And 57% dough's much easier to work with. If you want to learn more here's the YT video for the dough. It really makes a fantastic pizza. I made one for a neighbor who told me he almost never eats the crust, but this one he gobbled up. If you can find rice flour it's definitely worth trying.

Now that I have a few months with my oven, I might make it again and make a batch without rice flour to see if I notice a difference.

What does ADY stand for??

Sorry, I forgot I wasn't on the pizza forums lol. ADY's active dry yeast. That and IDY (Instant Dry Yeast) are basically interchangable. Use which ever you can find.

Last edited:
Reactions: indaswamp
Truthfully, I don't know, while I like the dough I never tried making it without the rice flour to compare. Also, this was a new'ish oven to me when I made this pizza so I was still getting used to how to cook in it. I stopped this dough and now make a much simpler, 57% hydration one. The recipe from the famous Joe's PIzza in NYC. In theory the rice flour will help make the crust a bit more crispy. That recipe used rice flour, which I sometimes struggle to find. And Diastatic malt which I can only get online. The new one's just flour+water+yeast+salt and only a 1 day cold ferment instead of 2-3. It tastes great to me.

Ah, I vaguely recall that part rice flour is one of the tricks of Vietnamese baguettes for a crispier crust.

I should really switch to weight measurements for my baking. I have the scale.

Yeah the enzymes in diastatic malt speed fermentation. So I hear. I've never used it.

I found that adding some semolina makes it easier to handle, or maybe it's just that I've gotten used to higher hydrations and just oil up my hands and bench when I'm portioning it into balls.

I also adopted the method of stretching the dough in a pile of semolina on the bench.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky