Mexican Chicken-n-Rice / Pollo y Arroz Mexicano

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mexican Chicken-n-Rice / Pollo y Arroz Mexicano

Get ready for some of the most insanely rich and tasty Mexican rice you've ever had!
Today I'm showing you a classic one pot meal that'll have picky eaters coming back for second helpings.
I've a large clan so I doubled this recipe, with the added benefit of leftovers, much to my delight.

1 large fryer chicken, chopped into respective parts and wet brined
2c uncooked, long grain, white rice
4 medium tomatoes
1 medium white onion, cut in half
3 cloves of garlic
3c chicken broth or stock
1/4c bacon grease or other oil
1T salt, 1/2t achiote paste or ground annato, 1/2t cumin, 2t Mexican oregano, 1 Bay leaf

Preheat oven to 450°
Melt the bacon grease in a large deep skillet or enameled dutch oven, over med-high heat brown the chicken well, remove and set aside.
When the oven is up to temp roast the tomatoes, onion and garlic, remove and place in blender, add all seasonings except the Bay leaf, pulse a few times for a coarse blend.
In the pan you cooked the chicken in, add the rice and saute till golden.
Add the tomato puree, chicken broth and Bay leaf to the rice, stir well and taste, add salt as needed to make the flavors "POP!"
Now add in the chicken pieces and bring to a boil.
Lower heat to a simmer and cover, cook for half an hour.
Turn down heat to low, uncover and let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.

I6Ebdzuh.jpg

OCBOHWfh.jpg

You can cheat on this recipe with little effect on flavor.
Substitute a can of Rotel's Chili Fixins for the puree.

Also, this recipe can be veggied up by adding chunks of green chile, onion, bell pepper, zucchini, carrot, celery or whatever you enjoy.

The spiciness can be increased too if you like it hot.

Last edited:
Looks great,, excuse my ignorance but what is one large "flying chicken" is that a whole chicken parted out? I will do this with riced cauliflower instead of rice. Probably not as good but better for my A1C...lol

Man you are posting a ton lately....yeah I understand man!

• Haha
Reactions: chilerelleno
Looks great,, excuse my ignorance but what is one large "flying chicken" is that a whole chicken parted out? I will do this with riced cauliflower instead of rice. Probably not as good but better for my A1C...lol

Man you are posting a ton lately....yeah I understand man!
Flying? LOL... Read it again, Frying, should've been Fryer.

OK, so a few drinks in...lol what is a fryer chicken?....
Chicken Sizes and Weights

The U.S. Department of Agriculture recognizes six classifications of chicken. All are descendants of birds domesticated in India around 2000 B.C.

Broiler/Fryers,
are young chickens that weigh between 2.5 and 4.5 pounds after processing. They can be used in any chicken recipe. Supermarkets may label whole chickens that weigh around 5 pounds as fryers.

Rock Cornish,
game hens are young chickens that weigh between 1 and 2 pounds. Because of their size, game hens are usually stuffed and cooked whole.

Roasters,
are a few weeks older than fryers and game hens and weigh at least 5 pounds. Roasters are meatier and, as the name suggests, usually roasted.

Capons,
are male chickens that are 4 to 8 months old and weigh between 4 and 7 pounds. Like roasters, they're meatier and are usually roasted.

Stewing hens,
are older, between 10 months and 1.5 years old. Since they're older, they tend to be tougher and are usually prepared by cooking in liquid.

Roosters,
are mature male chickens with tough meat that requires long cooking.

aaaahhhh OK, well here in in lower NY we just get whole chicken and a weight...lol...non of the above designations

Down here I commonly see Fryers, Cornish game hens and Capons.
The Fryers aren't usually labeled as such, but Capons and Cornish are as they charge more for them.
Especially the Cornish game hens, less time and feed, just a juvenile chicken, but they get a premium because of public ignorance thinking they're something special at three times the price.

Reactions: clifish
Down here I commonly see Fryers, Cornish game hens and Capons.
The Fryers aren't usually labeled as such, but Capons and Cornish are as they charge more for them.
Especially the Cornish game hens, less time and feed, just a juvenile chicken, but they get a premium because of public ignorance thinking they're something special at three times the price.
Thanks for the clarification brother!

Mr. chilerelleno chilerelleno

Looks killer! This recipe reminded me of a dish I loved as a kid, and haven't had in 40-years :emoji_disappointed:

Seafood Paella. The best I can remember, it had clams, black mussels, shrimp, scallops, lobster, and the best rice on Earth...

I can't wait to see your version of it!

:emoji_sunglasses:

EDIT: I found this - https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/228444/authentic-seafood-paella/ and that looks like the real stuff I was recollecting - I wanted to say it had peas in it too but I wasn't sure.

The girlfriend that used to cook this for me was half Cuban and half French - WAY too wild for me! :emoji_laughing: Bu-bu-but man could she cook!

Now, if only I could get actual fresh seafood here in hell...

Last edited:
Very tasty looking!
I haven't seen a capon ever. I was under the impression they basically weren't for sale in the US anymore.
I'd love to try one.

They are available, look in top tier grocers, specialty butchers or online retailers.
Be prepared to pay a premium just like with Cornish game hens.
Do be aware that many labeled and sold as such may just be a large chicken and not tender as a true Capon.

For those wondering what the heck is a Capon.
A Capon is a Rooster that was castrated as a juvenile.
They grow larger than hens (up to 6-12 lbs) but because of the castration their meat stays tender.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeydudde
That perfect circle it looks almost like a Mexican chicken pizza but it looks REALLY good. You put that in front of me, I'll never leave the table. Gorgeous meal Chile!!

Robert

That perfect circle it looks almost like a Mexican chicken pizza but it looks REALLY good. You put that in front of me, I'll never leave the table. Gorgeous meal Chile!!

Robert
That's funny Robert, my daughter just saw the pic and said the same thing, "Is that chicken pizza?"
I said, "No, but you and Robert both think it looks like one."

Speaking of pizza, dang dude, you've been killing it.
You and Al put out some pies.

I used to go to a pizza place back in SoCal that offered Mexican Pizza in various styles.
The basic one was simply a version of cheeseburger pizza with a mildly spicy marinara and added jalapenos and guacamole.
The rest were chorizo, carne asada, a killer pollo mole and al pastor with pineapple that was much like a typical Hawaiian.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky