methods of smoking ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Does anyone brine ribs? Ive only done them once in my smoker and thought they couldve been more tender. Could be I didnt let them cook enough. I did wrap in foils after 2 hours but did not put anything in the foil. Then uncovered the last hour.
I honestly don't know of anyone who brines ribs, but that doesn't mean you can't give it a try...lots of different ways to skin a cat.  I think you already hit on the simple solution:  If your ribs were not tender, they needed to cook longer.  Remember that cook times that are posted and reposted are only general guidelines...every hunk of meat will be different.  There are several ways to tell when a rack of ribs are done to your desired tenderness.  My 'go to' methods are the bend test and the toothpick test.

Bend test:  use a pair of BBQ tongs to pick up the rack near the middle, allowing the rack to bend in the middle.  When the rack bends easily to near 90* and the rib meat on the top of the rack starts to crack or tear as the rack bends, they are done

Toothpick or probe test:  take a toothpick, a kabob skewer, or a sharp probe...poke the rib meat in multiple places across the rack.  When the toothpick glides in and out with little resistance, they're done.

HTH...

Red

Does anyone brine ribs? Ive only done them once in my smoker and thought they couldve been more tender. Could be I didnt let them cook enough. I did wrap in foils after 2 hours but did not put anything in the foil. Then uncovered the last hour.
No need. If they were not tender then they were not done. Use the toothpick test on them at the end. If the toothpick slides inbetween the bones with little or no resistance in the center of the rack they are done.

I generally do baby back or loin back ribs.  2-2-1 or 2-1.5-1 at 225ish.  Do the bend test to see when they are done.  Foil with butter and brown sugar.  Usually turn out pretty dang good.

I always seem to mess up spares for some odd unknown reason.  Last weekend did a rack of spares.  Just rub, no foil, at about 250-260 for right in between 4.5-5 hours, used the bend test.  Some of the best ribs I've ever made.  Unfoiled spares may be my new go to.

I have always cooked baby backs. For the last couple of years, Costco has been having Swift loin back ribs. Looks like a baby back with a good portion of the loin still on. Very meaty. I foiled for several years and got FOTB (sometimes mushy) with a good flavor, but I have been reading about folks not using foil and decided to go back to that. My ribs on Memorial Day were great and brought back memories of how they used to be. Good flavor and a slight tug. I may now take the plunge to spares and see how much luck I have with them. I can always eat my mistakes.

I once heard of foiling first in the process but I dont recall who said that method or what the exact ratios where

I always seem to mess up spares for some odd unknown reason.  Last weekend did a rack of spares.  Just rub, no foil, at about 250-260 for right in between 4.5-5 hours, used the bend test.  Some of the best ribs I've ever made.  Unfoiled spares may be my new go to.
Listen to jirod, works every time. CF
icon14.gif

Reactions: harleybike
I tend to cook lower at 210ish rather than 260. Any advice for amount of time or will it dry out smoking that long?

I go with 230 degrees.  On for 2.5 to 3 hours, then I wrap with foil and a big squirt of squeeze Parkay and a little brown sugar and cook wrapped for 2 hours.  Then, depending on how they look, I'll throw them back on, unwrapped for 1 hour.

Good stuff!

When your ribs are done, you can pick them up with tongs about half way down the slab and the ribs will bend about almost 90 degrees and your bark will start cracking. This is a sign that your ribs are done.
I would like to pipe in for a bit of inquiry please. So the first ribs I smoked when I first joined here just about a month ago  (I never posted about them)  I used the 3-2-1 method. They turned out a bit too smokey for us and falling off the bone, literally...cold not even pick up a slab without them falling apart.

My preference would be to have a slight bark and would like to have to bite them off the bone, not tough or chewy, but wanna pick up a bone with my fingers and gnaw the meat off. 

So..how do I get them less smoke flavored and more nibble off the bone style? Thank you.

Harley, It sounds like you had baby backs or a higher temp. I cook loin backs at about 250-275* uncoiled for about 3 hours and then sauce for 20-30 minutes. I've had excellent results with this. Also check my other details at post #26. Good luck, Joe

It depends on the smoker. I just smoked ribs at 200 for 7 hours and they were perfect.

If its charcoal or wood, that will be too much smoke. If it is electric or gas, put less wood.

They were perfect texture and maybe a tad bit too much fall off for some, but I loved em.

Harley, It sounds like you had baby backs or a higher temp. I cook loin backs at about 250-275* uncoiled for about 3 hours and then sauce for 20-30 minutes. I've had excellent results with this. Also check my other details at post #26. Good luck, Joe
I smoked Spare Ribs, and used liquid during the foil portion. Your post sounds just like how I would like them, slight tug. I had a package of BB in my hand today but always seem to lean toward Spare Ribs, Just bought a 10lb pack of Spare at Costco. Hmmm.

Last edited:
It depends on the smoker. I just smoked ribs at 200 for 7 hours and they were perfect.

If its charcoal or wood, that will be too much smoke. If it is electric or gas, put less wood.

They were perfect texture and maybe a tad bit too much fall off for some, but I loved em.
I have an MES30. So less wood and how long on the smoke?  Less fall off for me and then I can adjust from there.   

If not already 330 pm, I'd throw some ribs on. But I think I'll rub tonight and let em sit in the fridge overnight  and start smokin tomorrow.

Last edited:
I am not sure about the wood for the MES as I use small chunks, but no smoke is always better than bitter food IMO. Anyways, I did 7 hours for bb ribs at 200*. Considering they were a little too tender, 6-7 hours should be right for spares for you.

Hot and fast: I have heard 3 hrs to 3 1/4 hrs at 275 works well.

All are no foil to give a better texture. I have noticed covering ribs with mustard gives a dark crispier texture to the meat itself as well.

I am not sure about the wood for the MES as I use small chunks, but no smoke is always better than bitter food IMO. Anyways, I did 7 hours for bb ribs at 200*. Considering they were a little too tender, 6-7 hours should be right for spares for you.

Hot and fast: I have heard 3 hrs to 3 1/4 hrs at 275 works well.

All are no foil to give a better texture. I have noticed covering ribs with mustard gives a dark crispier texture to the meat itself as well.
OK I see.  MES uses the larger wood chips and burn out after about 20-30 mins.  I also have the AMNPS.  I could cut back on the pellets and only smoke for a couple hours I suppose. So for now, I see that no foil is gonna be my method. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky