MES40 with Pellet tube

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I had kinda given up on the MES40 and went back to my WSM. Last cook was a windy cold day and decide to give another go. I went with 225 instead of 275 like I do on WSM. Really seemed to make a difference in smoke flavor. I tried it again today with some ribs. Ribs turned out pretty awesome. Seems that when smoking with the pellet tube you need to go slow. After in butcher paper turned up to 275. I may see a pellet grill in my future.

Reactions: jcam222
Added the RT 590 to my arsenal last Dec., But still love the MES 40 with the Auber PID. I think it has great versatility. Excellent for smoking fish, doing jerky and such at the lower temps . I did add mailbox mod, seems like easier to keep tray or tube of dust or pellets going.

Reactions: chopsaw
Wish I had experience with other smokers. Always wanted to, just recently sprung for one. Got the RT700. Easy and convenient, but I still appreciate all other types as well. Just no more room.

Seems that when smoking with the pellet tube you need to go slow.

I highly recommend modding the tube with u-bolts and burning crushed/ground pellets.These two things will give you nice tbs and prolong burn time in some cases by several hours.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky