MES30 Cold Weather Insulation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wille5az

Original poster
Aug 4, 2016
West Suburbs of Chicago
I have a MES 30 with the chip tray on right side and exhaust on the top (version 2.5?)... Planning to smoke a pork butt overnight this weekend in Chicago Suburbs but the low temp is 15*. I am thinking I may need to insulate at least one side to keep it out of the wind...

Does anyone have a photo of how they have used a welding/water heater blanket?
Do I need to cut a hole in the blanket for where the chip tray is? (I use a AMNPS)
The smoker has been sitting outside under a heavy duty cover, I read that people add some boiling water to help warm it up initially???

Any other suggestions would be great!!!

Thanks!

I personally never had a problem with any of my MES units, however I don't work too good at 15° any more either.

I think I remember a couple guys having to put some hot water in or hit it with a Hair Dryer inside to get theirs to start when it was cold, but that was an exception more than the rule.

The big thing with the MES is Wind, more so than Temp.
If you can block the wind with plywood or a tarp, you should be good to go. Blocking 2 or 3 sides would be a help.

Bear

I plan to test this sort of thing but I have researched this quite a bit (Northern Ohio). There is nothing definitive and it all depends but 15F is LOW. Some guys had no issues at all, some guys did. I tend to believe that with AMNPS providing heat in addition to the MES you should be fine provided wind is not an issue. Google MES cold weather images and you will find tons of pics. Until I test I tend to think 30F or so and no insulation is fine but colder than that the use of insulation is a good idea.

I will let you know how it goes, Might try to get some plywood or a big wardrobe moving box that i can slide over the MES

There ya go---Great ideas.
My MES is on my front porch, in front of one wall. I've already hung a heavy old quilt on the end of the porch, so it blocked a second side. That helped. I've already fastened some cardboard from boxes around the sides and the back of the smoker, leaving about 6" stick up above the top, so the wind couldn't get to the top vent. That worked good too.

I've seen a guy fasten 3 pieces of plywood cut to the right size together with hinges.
Then he could open it up to put around his smoker, and fold it up to put it away.

Bear

It gets cold up here in Alberta, but like said, its the wind more than the temp that will give you problems. In the winter, I'll quite often preheat the sand in my water pan to help the MES get warmed up and then maintain a steady temp. I just put it in a 400 degree oven for half an hour. If I use a welding blanket, it's more for protection from the wind.
Gary

Reactions: Bearcarver
It gets cold up here in Alberta, but like said, its the wind more than the temp that will give you problems. In the winter, I'll quite often preheat the sand in my water pan to help the MES get warmed up and then maintain a steady temp. I just put it in a 400 degree oven for half an hour. If I use a welding blanket, it's more for protection from the wind.
Gary

Great Tip on Preheating the Sand!!!:)
I Like That !

Bear

Thanks John. The idea came out of a screwup. I forgot to bring my sand pan into the garage overnight to stay warm and that morning was COLD when I went out to fire up the MES. Luckily Miss Linda came to the rescue with this idea. LOL
Gary

Yup---Our Miss Lindas can come in handy, huh???

Bear

Did a cold weather test AKA initial burn of my MES30 yesterday and I am not easily impressed but I was. Some data: outside temp was 30F and falling. Wind was decent and probably enough that it would have blown out a gasser with needle valve for low temps. No insulation or anything just parked near garage. I could have placed it in a better location out of the direction of the wind but wanted to see who she would do in less than favorable conditions. It took 45m to hit 275F (initial burn temps and much higher than I intend to use it) but that includes the time it took to add the shelves and another time to add AMNPS. The shelves made around a 100F hit and AMNPS less than 30F or so. Very reasonable to me. Boy, did it did give off some really nasty smells at first… I suspect it would only take around 15-20m on a typical cold day. Cool. Temps held fine over 6 hours (100X better than my gasser) and I did not notice the heat light on much during the test but I didn’t stand over it the whole time. Only hiccup was AMNPS went too fast, barely got 3 hours out of 2 rows. I made the mistake of placing it in the center of the bottom rack… Kinda funny I was expecting problems keeping it lit but totally a non issue. Best cob pellets from TSC BTW. I suspect it might be the fact I use MAPP gas and not propane. Lit it 3 times a few seconds to flame and blew on the embers. Less than 5m. Dumped and reloaded for a second time and placed far left away from heat elements but still only got 3 hours on 2nd run. It was still easily the best smoke I ever got. Just got a little too heavy about and hour in. Not sure if it jumped rows or just went fast. I have a good idea for a heat shield but I plan to do another run temps near what I plan to use say around 150F to 180F for an upcoming turkey and see what happens.

Glad you're liking it, zwiller!!
A couple notes:
150° to 180° is much too low for Turkey---Advise 250° or better.
Normally 2 rows in the AMNPS will get at least 6 hours, but I'm not sure about "Cob" pellets---Might be quicker. If you fill the AMNPS too full it can jump across rows & burn out fast. I like to fill mine to about 3/8" from the top.

Bear

Yes, also plan to try filling it less. I probably filled a bit more, almost level. Good point, maybe cob burns faster that hardwood. I was thinking the pellet form might make them about the same. Interesting.

WRT to low temp turkey, 275F was what I have done for years but changing it up. I am following Marianski's recipe. Turkey is obviously cured. 2-3 hour dry/pellicle @ 120F, smoke 150F and raised to 170-180F to finish IT of 160F-ish. I think Pop's process is similar.

More data. First smoke. Nothing special just some store bought bologna. 160F 3 hours on cob. Temps were COLD at 15F and falling AND large winds. MES parked in same spot and no insulation or wind barrier and MES just chugged away and AMNPS just gave perfect TBS. I am ecstatic. This setup is basically set and forget. We are definitely gonna be eating more smoked food at my house.

More data. First smoke. Nothing special just some store bought bologna. 160F 3 hours on cob. Temps were COLD at 15F and falling AND large winds. MES parked in same spot and no insulation or wind barrier and MES just chugged away and AMNPS just gave perfect TBS. I am ecstatic. This setup is basically set and forget. We are definitely gonna be eating more smoked food at my house.

That's Great !!

I love a good Success Story!!:)

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky