MES with Mailbox mod woodchip 3d print adapter

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Markl

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 1, 2020
Minnesota
So I picked up a like new Masterbuilt electric smoker today for a $100. I plan on using this just for cold smoking (bacon!) with the mailbox mod. Thinking of drawing up and 3d printing a 3" adapter in PETG to easily connect where the chip tray goes and connect to the 3" ducting. Temps as I'm cold smoking shouldn't be an issue. Any concerns with making and using a PETG plug and play adapter?

I looked around a bit. Most 3D printing I’ve been around didn’t include contact with food, mostly for parts or tools. But I found this you may want to look into;

Reactions: Markl
I looked around a bit. Most 3D printing I’ve been around didn’t include contact with food, mostly for parts or tools. But I found this you may want to look into;
PETG is for the most part food safe, the issue with it is direct contact with food and during the printing process, there can be small gaps from layer to layer. Options are to sand and/or paint the item with a food safe epoxy to fill the gaps. Since this will not come in direct contact with food, just the smoke traveling through the part and at low temps, I think with sanding the part smooth and cleaning after each use it should be safe to use. It will make connecting the 3" duct pipe extremely easy to do and use.

Get a 3"×24:" aluminum snap together vent pipe. Keep as is or make a coupling as long as you want for $3. Cold or hot smoking.
20180302_132615.jpg
20220405_092703.jpg

I'm not understanding the problem you are trying to solve. The corrugated end of a 3in duct pipe fits snugly right into the chip tray port on a Masterbuilt.

If however you are just looking for an excuse to play with your 3d printer: yes, making custom fittings and adapters is a great idea. I see no food safety concerns.

Agree with PolishDeli. A piece of 3" aluminum duct with a corrugated end fits into the chip tray port of the Masterbuilt electric smoker. Will say that I notched a portion of the corrugated end so that it fits even tighter into the port. Will take a pic once the sun comes up.

Last edited:
Wasn't aware that the duct would fit in tightly without duct tape and baling wire :-)
Will have options at least!

In the event of a fire in your mailbox, how will the adapter withstand the heat?
Hadn't thought of having a flare up, but since the pipe will fit well, just going that route.

Reactions: tallbm
Here’s a pic of my 3” connector pipe with the upper half of the corregated end notched away, to allow the end to slide in further.
C6E8F577-B1D7-4F8A-93C6-2449471B7C9A.jpeg

Here's another pic of a spare connector pipe with a similar notch:
AA902525-EB35-4F03-9803-1B6E5BED3018.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard and Markl
Hadn't thought of having a flare up, but since the pipe will fit well, just going that route.
Hi there and welcome! Yep flare up the inexpensive metal joint will save you. I get flare ups more regularly than I would like. Maybe once every 15 smokes or so but I catch em very fast with all my temp probes AND my mailbox mod is super modular so i can put them out before they turn into a burnt up tray. I often don't lose more than 2-3 inches of pellets if you can consider that losing them lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky