MES w/ mailbox vs Recteq

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

unity5358

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 18, 2013
I have been a long time user of an MES w/ mailbox & AMNS tray and would continue if MES would make a product that lasts more than a year or two. I’ve gone through a couple and have had to fix those to keep them going (replace burned out blade connectors, replace element, replace controller). One of them quit working and stayed that way no matter what I did. It just gets tiring. So, I am contemplating a Recteq. A little one, an RT 340. Will this do as good a job as an MES w/ mailbox…when it’s working?! In particular, will the Recteq give the same level of smoked flavor as the MES w/ mailbox? And will the Recteq alleviate all my other frustrations with the continual need to repair the MES? Thank you for any input that comes from personal experience.

Consider keeping your MES and connect it to an Auber PID controller. You'll never regret it. I rewired my MES40 by connecting a power cord directly to the element. This power cord plugs directly to the PID controller. And yes for keeping the mailbox.

Oh and which MES do you have? 30 or 40? If the 40, more reason to keep it.

Last edited:
Consider keeping your MES and connect it to an Auber PID controller. You'll never regret it. I rewired my MES40 by connecting a power cord directly to the element. This power cord plugs directly to the PID controller. And yes for keeping the mailbox.

Oh and which MES do you have? 30 or 40?
I have a couple of 30s. One works…kinda.

What ^^^^ said. No smoker is going to eliminate all frustration, and that will be a very small smoker. To get a good smoke flavor, I have gone to smoking at 180° for as long as possible then finish at a higher temp. Smoke flavor is the best at 180° and drops off rapidly as temp goes up.

You already know how to use the one you have. What the above posta are suggesting makes great sense. Just replace all of the wiring, and it will cost way less then the new reqtec.

Which Auber PID controller is “the right one”?

A lot of us use this one .

I've had my MES 30 since 2013 . I have replaced the element , and the connecter issue is normal . Things you can do to make that better .
I added the Auber a few years back . Fantastic results . I use mine for sausage and hams . I have other options for smoking meats .

Yup! to the 1510. What's nice about having this controller is that you can easily use it on your other electric smokers. My old big chief smoker gets Auber assistance, once in awhile.

Reactions: chopsaw
can easily use it on your other electric smokers.
That's right . I buy the multi use probe that can be used in a pot of water on a hot plate .
unity5358 unity5358 so just keep in mind that it's not money sunk into the MES . Can be used for other things , like controlling a fridge .

You seem to have had worse than normal luck with your MES. Are you in a brutal climate? Any way you can store your cooker in a garage when not in use?

You seem to have had worse than normal luck with your MES. Are you in a brutal climate? Any way you can store your cooker in a garage when not in use?
My MES has sat outside, uncovered, but under my deck roof, 24 hours a day year round, since the day I bought it. I live in the Alberta Foothills--lots of snow and some ugly cold winters. I replaced the element with one for a MES 40 for more power, rewired it, and added the above mentioned Auber PID. All money well spent. Wouldn't even think of replacing it.
Gary

Reactions: chopsaw
I went from a MES 30 with amazon tube/tray to grilla chimp (equivalent of recteq smaller barrel). I have zero regrets or feel I get any less smoke flavor. Truly set it and wait for the app to tell me it is done.
The recteqs now all go to 700 degrees which is a recent update. the MES may bet there with the auger mod but also is not meant to run that hot. I may consider a different recteq model to have lower temp options under 200

Here's my MES/Auber/Mailbox combo.
725D8D8E-66E0-4E68-A982-E49B67C57D4B.jpeg

Spohnat,
You can't run your recteq under 200 degrees? Since my MES is dedicated to fish, I would have a big problem if I couldn't run under 200. My average temp ran is 150.

Lowest advertised temp on recteq is 180 or 200 depending on the model. I do not know if you can get it stable and lower. I have the competitor (grilla chimp) but it does not go below 180

Less than 180F is pretty much cold smoking territory. To get there with a pellet grill you'd have to move the hot crucible into its own mailbox mod exterior home. Similarly you can't take a mes to 700F without serious changes to the insulation and door seals to say nothing of the element and utility power.

Can you give some details on this?

Starting at the 410 model the RT will run 180 to 700. A pellet will run very simply, however to equal the smoke you may need a tube which is easily enough.

The green mountain grills will run 150 to 550 and they give a very nice smoke profile as well. I have used my GMG to make chipotle powder at the 150. I have run it for a full 30 hours straight at 150.

That said I have also run my RT tons from 180 to 700 with no issues either……

Auber PID units work very well too! It will make any heater unit work much better!

Reactions: Winterrider
I've been Rec Teq user for more than a year now. No issues. The biggest plus is it's ability to hold a set temperature for as long as you feed it pellets. I've even run it at 700f to do pizza. If you're looking for a smoker that puts out coal train quantities of smoke this ain't it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky