MES JMSS (Lowes) vs MES 20078715 (Amazon)?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
And, if the answer is no, you must get a glass door if you want Gen 2.5 features, I'm almost thinking I am going to just buy a Gen1 unit.  Would you say the Gen1 is better than Gen2.0?

Yes, and I think I figured out what is going on.  The Gen 2.5 only comes on the units with glass doors.  Does that sound right?  Are you familiar with a non-glass Gen 2.5?  Where is it sold?
I never looked into it, but that could very well be.

I had an MES without a window, and I would never go back to that.

Bear

And, if the answer is no, you must get a glass door if you want Gen 2.5 features, I'm almost thinking I am going to just buy a Gen1 unit.  Would you say the Gen1 is better than Gen2.0?
OMG yes---A Gen #1 is much better than any Gen #2.

The only thing you may need with the Gen #1 that you don't need in the Gen #2.5 is the Heat deflector to keep the heat from running straight up the right side.

Bear

OMG yes---A Gen #1 is much better than any Gen #2.

The only thing you may need with the Gen #1 that you don't need in the Gen #2.5 is the Heat deflector to keep the heat from running straight up the right side.

Bear
Can the Heat Deflector be purchased?  Model # or link, please? 

Can the Heat Deflector be purchased?  Model # or link, please? 
The Heat deflector is something I came up with:

It is just a piece of metal (I used aluminum sheet metal) that sets above the Water pan in a Gen #1 MES.

The left side can be raised up & down to force heat from the right side of the smoker to the middle of the smoker, before it rises through the smoker, and eventually out the top vent. Shown Below in Pic:

Note: The upside down half foil pan on the left is just to keep drips off of my AMNPS

Bear

Reactions: heyeph
Thanks, man!

BTW, my primary reason for staying away from the Gen2.5 is the window, as it seems that they are useless after a short period and add to cleanup.  True?  My wife is a neat freak.  I'm just thinking she'll have more complaints if she sees a filthy window all the time...

Thanks, man!

BTW, my primary reason for staying away from the Gen2.5 is the window, as it seems that they are useless after a short period and add to cleanup.  True?  My wife is a neat freak.  I'm just thinking she'll have more complaints if she sees a filthy window all the time...
I guess if you don't clean it, it would be useless, but so would your house & car windows.

I clean mine before every smoke, and it only takes a couple minutes.

Like I said, I would never go back to one without a window.

My first MES was an MES 30. I got rid of it after a year, because it was too small & didn't have a Window.

You're not alone though---There are a few others who don't want the Window.

Bear

I guess if you don't clean it, it would be useless, but so would your house & car windows.

I clean mine before every smoke, and it only takes a couple minutes.

Like I said, I would never go back to one without a window.

My first MES was an MES 30. I got rid of it after a year, because it was too small & didn't have a Window.

You're not alone though---There are a few others who don't want the Window.

Bear
I'm like Bear in that I wouldn't have a Smoker without a window. ...

OK, I am now the proud owner of one of these babies!  Preseasoned it last night and now I'm ready to plan for the first smoke this weekend!  The "manual" that came with it has a couple of recipes, but not much in terms of "best practices".

Are there any recipes books/sites out there that focus on the use of this unit (and its cousins) and explain best practices in terms of which rack to use, timing, etc.?  Looking for a broad range of recipes.

Thanks!

Eph

OK, I am now the proud owner of one of these babies!  Preseasoned it last night and now I'm ready to plan for the first smoke this weekend!  The "manual" that came with it has a couple of recipes, but not much in terms of "best practices".

Are there any recipes books/sites out there that focus on the use of this unit (and its cousins) and explain best practices in terms of which rack to use, timing, etc.?  Looking for a broad range of recipes.

Thanks!

Eph
I think this is what you're looking for:

Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear

Bear,

Unless I am missing it, I don't see any mention of the need to soak the chips. True?  Not needed with these units?
IMHO:

Two of the worst things you can do in an MES is Soak the chips, and put water in the water pan.

I think most MES Veterans will agree.

Bear

Bear,

Unless I am missing it, I don't see any mention of the need to soak the chips. True?  Not needed with these units?
Not needed at all. The MES is an awesome little sealed box and it ends up keeping most of the moisture from whatever you're smoking in the chamber anyway. The last thing you want to do is add more moisture.

Bear,

BTW: Eph, If you got the MES with the Window, you will often see why no added water is needed. The inside of the Window can fill with condensation & it will run down the glass.

That happens without adding any water.

And soaking the chips just causes a little steam until it starts smoking.

I'm sure before long you'll be getting an AMNPS anyway.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky