MES - Fill Tube question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dwdunlap

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
Jul 3, 2016
Richardson, Texas (Dallas)
I use the expandable smoke tube but having trouble keeping it lite. I do the advised tricks: store pellets off the floor; microwave 3 min before loading; lite with a torch and let burn 10 min; chip loading tube pulled out 4" and rotated; top vent wide open; and I use LumberJack mesquite or hickory pellets. Makes having a PID controller, smoke tube, good pellets, everything for a set-and-forget smoke -- only to go out and find the smoke has stopped and I'm just BAKING the Meat!!

I am aware that many have have gone to the mailbox conversion and I wonder if that would fix my problem? I'm considering building one myself but would like to see first if others have tried removing the fill tube completely to get in more air and keep the pellets lite. Maybe removing the whole chip loader from the MES??

Any experience with my problem is welcome.

Reactions: JC in GB
Do you have the Gen 2 MES? If you do, then if it were me I'd definitely go the mailbox mod route. I had a hellava time keeping pellets going in my brothers gen 2. Only ever got Amazen pellets to burn in it- Nothing else worked to stay lit.

I use the expandable smoke tube but having trouble keeping it lite. I do the advised tricks: store pellets off the floor; microwave 3 min before loading; lite with a torch and let burn 10 min; chip loading tube pulled out 4" and rotated; top vent wide open; and I use LumberJack mesquite or hickory pellets. Makes having a PID controller, smoke tube, good pellets, everything for a set-and-forget smoke -- only to go out and find the smoke has stopped and I'm just BAKING the Meat!!

I am aware that many have have gone to the mailbox conversion and I wonder if that would fix my problem? I'm considering building one myself but would like to see first if others have tried removing the fill tube completely to get in more air and keep the pellets lite. Maybe removing the whole chip loader from the MES??

Any experience with my problem is welcome.
Try putting 2 muffler clamps on it so it can get air from bellow.
Richie

Do you have the Gen 2 MES? If you do, then if it were me I'd definitely go the mailbox mod route. I had a hellava time keeping pellets going in my brothers gen 2. Only ever got Amazen pellets to burn in it- Nothing else worked to stay lit.
Try putting 2 muffler clamps on it so it can get air from bellow.
Richie

Richie, I'm intrigued. Put clamps WHAT? Are there air vents in the bottom of the MES?

Like this . I only use one at the front .
thin blue.jpg

Richie, I'm intrigued. Put clamps WHAT? Are there air vents in the bottom of the MES?
The grease drain gives a little air.Pull the draw out a little put a throw away pan under what you are smoking.
Richie

Hey all! Great information.

I think the muffler clamps must be to act as legs so the TUBE isn't resting on the bottom and blocking the bottom from getting air circulation. Add legs or u-bolts might solve it flaming out. I'll be checking out all your posts.

The fill tube could be pulled out to far as well.

However, since I do not use chips for smoke... why do I even need the fill tube at all? Same with the chip tray and the housing? I'd think I would get more intake air and just make a cover to protect the bare coil. Anyone tried that?

I have more reading to do but many thanks

DW

Hey all! Great information.

I think the muffler clamps must be to act as legs so the TUBE isn't resting on the bottom and blocking the bottom from getting air circulation. Add legs or u-bolts might solve it flaming out. I'll be checking out all your posts.

The fill tube could be pulled out to far as well.

However, since I do not use chips for smoke... why do I even need the fill tube at all? Same with the chip tray and the housing? I'd think I would get more intake air and just make a cover to protect the bare coil. Anyone tried that?

I have more reading to do but many thanks

DW
Leave the cover that protects the coil and nix the chip tray.Use the loader as an air regulator.Place the modded tube in the bottom left.Using ground pellets in the tube makes for great tbs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky