MES 40 ISSUES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

masonman1345

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Orangefield Texas
Ok so just lost a 30.00 brisket because my MES smoker failed to get over 70 degrees last night. Has anybody else had this issue with the MES?

Had enough of mine. Turned out a lot of good food over the years but I recently lost a brisket and two Boston butts to the same thing. Left it warm with meat on and woke to no temp and raw brisket. Replaced with a recteq Bull.

Reactions: masonman1345
Mine started cutting off randomly as well. Turned out to be the high heat thermal protector, or what ever it's called. The sensor in the cabinet that turns off the element if it detects too much heat. When it goes bad, it turns off the element even if the cabinet is not overheated. I ran a wire directly from the control box to the element and bypassed the sensor.

Fish'nSmoke,
An Auber PID controller basically replaces the controller of the MES. You set the temps and times as desired. With my MES40 which I got with a dead system, I bypassed all of the MES controller system and connected the element directly to the Auber PID controller. Now it is so easy and VERY reliable. It's my go to fish smoker.

There are tons of posts about PID's.

Fish'nSmoke,
An Auber PID controller basically replaces the controller of the MES. You set the temps and times as desired. With my MES40 which I got with a dead system, I bypassed all of the MES controller system and connected the element directly to the Auber PID controller. Now it is so easy and VERY reliable. It's my go to fish smoker.

There are tons of posts about PID's.
Thank you. I will do a search for the threads.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky