MES 40" Control Panel Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

treydawgmt

Original poster
May 22, 2022
Hello all,

I work for a fire department and all 3 of our stations have Cabella's Masterbuilt 40" electric smokers. (Model #20071115) The control panel has gone out on two of them. We never really used bluetooth, so I'm not worried about that. Is it possible to buy one of the controllers for the 20070511/20071914/20071814 style smokers and just make that work? Obviously, a small amount of sheet metal maybe, or something, would have to be done to make it fit more properly, but the ends look the same?

I've seen the mods where you can use a PID or something, but at the fire station that is likely not a great option. I'd like something that works very similar to the way they are now.

Thanks!

Hello all,

I work for a fire department and all 3 of our stations have Cabella's Masterbuilt 40" electric smokers. (Model #20071115) The control panel has gone out on two of them. We never really used bluetooth, so I'm not worried about that. Is it possible to buy one of the controllers for the 20070511/20071914/20071814 style smokers and just make that work? Obviously, a small amount of sheet metal maybe, or something, would have to be done to make it fit more properly, but the ends look the same?

I've seen the mods where you can use a PID or something, but at the fire station that is likely not a great option. I'd like something that works very similar to the way they are now.

Thanks!
Hi there and welcome!

you can try and find replacement panels for your models but chances are not great. I don't know if you could use a controller from a different model and it just work, I have doubts.

If you didnt want to rewire and go the PID controller route then you could rewire and use a Rheostat oven controller with a thermometer. Basically you just turn the knob and thats it :)

Last edited:
Hi there and welcome!

you can try and find replacement panels for your models but chances are not great. I don't know if you could use a controller from a different model and it just work, I have doubts.

If you didnt want to rewire and go the PID controller route then you could rewire and use a Rheostat oven controller with a thermometer. Basically you just turn the knob and thats it :)
Ok, thanks. A quick question - do you happen to have any photos of these smokers with a PID installed. How does it look when being used, stored, etc? I'm reading a lot more about it, and it actually seems like a good idea. But I'll have to sell the idea and that'll be some amount of work for sure.

Ok, thanks. A quick question - do you happen to have any photos of these smokers with a PID installed. How does it look when being used, stored, etc? I'm reading a lot more about it, and it actually seems like a good idea. But I'll have to sell the idea and that'll be some amount of work for sure.

Reactions: spg1 and tallbm
Oh buddy are you in luck.

An Auber PID controller just sits on top of the smoker and is made to be easily detachable.
When you are done with it you can take the PID controller inside so it never can be bothered by the elements.
  • With a simple rewire on the MES the controller you plug the MES into the Auber PID controller.
  • You plug the Auber PID controller into the wall outlet.
  • You clip the Auber PID temp probe to the bottom of the lower smoker rack and enter your set temp and done!
Here is what it looks like. You can see the Auber PID on top. Ignore the little grey bbq thermometer to the right of the Auber PID. (I bought this MES40 for $40, rewired, slapped an Auber PID on it and gave it to my mother as a gift)

The Auber PID controller is the rectangular box with the number 275 on it.
full.jpg

Now you may see the price of the Auber PID controller and think "wow $150 that could almost buy another smoker" BUT what you must undrestand is that controller will turn your smoker into a complete beast! It will perform 100x better, more accurate, and amazingly than any brand new smoker you could buy under $800. And it will perform just as good as those high dollar electric smokers.

Here is the Auber PID controller that would work for you and any MES you could come across (multi-purpose probe):

Here is a guide for the simple rewire. In short, you cut the ends off 4 wires and then use a pair of wire nuts to make 2 new whole wires. This bypasses the circuitry and feeds power to the heating element so that the Auber PID can cut power on/off to the MES easily. Super simple :)

All of us PID guys wonder why it took us so long to switch over. It's like Apples and Oranges when you compare a stock MES to a PID controlled MES.

Digest some of this and ask all the questions you have. I am positive we can get you squared away :)

^^^^ this

I made the switch and haven't looked back. They are consistent and it's probably my most used piece of cookware right now. Everything is clean and after the rewire is done, it's all plug and play. I went with the wifi model just because they are easier to program or change on the fly.

Reactions: tallbm
Here’s my Auber 1510ELPM, Masterbuilt 40 setup. Awesome setup. Highly recommended. Tallbm is the man when it comes to this stuff.
Since I have the exhaust vent totally open, I just drop the temp wire from the PID down thru the vent. A digital wireless unit also has it's temp wire going thru the vent.

36A656E3-8243-4D7C-BE88-47E8F0E8A543.jpeg

tallbm tallbm set many of us up with this. Auber mounted underneath to protect if out in rough weather. Built cart for mobility whether out front or back pending wind. Store it in the garage.
20181230_082211.jpg

Looks like you went to the right place!!
tallbm tallbm is my GOTO guy on electric smokers, and has helped many with this conversion. If you need help selling this idea, just show them this Thread, and/or some of the other success stories. I've used MES units for over 12 years, and if I could still do my own smoking, I'd be adding a PID to an MES.

And Welcome to SMF,
Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky