MES 35b new

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigpapifunk

Original poster
Apr 30, 2020
My wife bought me my first electric smoker for my birthday. Looks nice for an inexpensive model. I notice that the temp dial is not digital. Is there an aftermarket one for the model? I would prefer to set the temperature instead of relying on a bunch of white dashes on the dial to determine my cooking temp. Also any suggestion on modification for better performance? I have only used charcoal in the past so electric is new to me. Thanks.

Honestly, you should get temp probes and not rely on the dial gauge. They are notoriously inaccurate. Inkbird or ThermoWorks are just two to consider. Much, much more accurate for cooks. Temp control is key and the gauges will fool you. Some are wfi connect so you can check temps from your phone.

Reactions: jcam222 and PAS
I 2nd the remote therm by inkbird, those rheostats work fine when the temps are stable but if outside temps go up or down or as the meat gets warmer the temps will be off. the digital will adjust

First time using the electric smoker. Put a 8lb butt in at 9am and it is now 10:15 and still has a long way to go. Temp fluctuated between 200-250. No consistency which I figure is common with Electric. Overall it was good, but definitely going the PID controller way. Been smocking 16 years with charcoal so I guess I’m used to the consistent temps with that. I do like the electric though so not giving up. Thanks for the comments..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky