Mes 30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Are there any mods that I should perform on my gen 2.5 hybrid that are needed especially for air flow
Been years since I had a MES-30. Is the exhaust vent still on the top right back right corner?

And when you say "air flow", do you mean? What are you observing and what would you like to have different?

Yes still in back corner...I would like a consistent smoke with a amazen tube or tray preferably in the smoker...the tubes work the best I'm sure the altitude has some thing to do with it..I have the mailbox mod and have tried most pellets I can get locally..the tubes have a hard time even in the mailbox sometimes I blow a fan on it and it seems to help...The smoker is on a cart so I use the wind when possible ..the dump tube works great just not ideal for long smokes .. each day seems different and a struggle..I increased the holes last night in the mailbox I'll try that tonight

Can't speak to "local pellets". I only buy from Amazen. And I put those in a small oven at 250 for 30 minutes to make sure they're dry.

Which tube do you have? I have an older 18" tube. It has small holes. I can get 12 hours or so of smoke with it. I have a newer 7 - 12" with slots that burns much quicker. Both of these are with the mailbox mod.

IMG_5276.jpeg

Here's my setup. Sounds a little like yours, except it's an MES-40. (Got tired of little briskets or the brisket laying on the smoker sides.

I have the 6 and 12" inch oval tubes.. I have dried the pellets, nuked, dehydrated them they will all burn outside of the mailbox or smoker but when put in it's a gamble

Observed the photo of holyfeld holyfeld 's setup and noticed that the door of the mailbox does not have any ventilation holes. . .Perhaps that is your problem if your setup is similar.

There are multiple threads on this subject.

I hope this helps,

John

Last edited:
I'm wondering if one of the newer models would be better
Buying a new smoker is always the right answer. Doesn't matter what the question is.

Sounds like you've tried making sure the pellets are dry.

A less expensive test might be to try the increased airflow from the holes you drilled last night.

I assume when you start you get good tbs, and eventually the pellets go out.

Yes still in back corner...I would like a consistent smoke with a amazen tube or tray preferably in the smoker...the tubes work the best I'm sure the altitude has some thing to do with it..I have the mailbox mod and have tried most pellets I can get locally..the tubes have a hard time even in the mailbox sometimes I blow a fan on it and it seems to help...The smoker is on a cart so I use the wind when possible ..the dump tube works great just not ideal for long smokes .. each day seems different and a struggle..I increased the holes last night in the mailbox I'll try that tonight
Are all the bottom mounting holes and corners sealed so all air comes from the front over/under the pellets?
20170911_132126.jpg
I don't have holes in the door just the two pencil holes shown and a third hole I drilled between the two. This is where the lit edge of the tray is located inside the mailbox on a rack to elevated the tray for airflow since there's an X support frame under the tray that may stop airflow if it sits on the bottom of the mailbox.
20170503_093742.jpg
Before middle hole was drilled. Air comes in at door hinge as well up toward the rear top 3" hole.

A 3"×24" alum vent pipe sticking out of the chip loader with a bent wire hanger to elevate the tube in the vent or a couple 2.75"rods going through center holes of rhe tube to elevate it in the 3" vent pipe.
20170503_093729.jpg
Kinda like this without the mailbox for the tube. Pull in and out of the vent pipe being hot with needle nose pliers.

Buying a new smoker is always the right answer. Doesn't matter what the question is.

Sounds like you've tried making sure the pellets are dry.

A less expensive test might be to try the increased airflow from the holes you drilled last night.

I assume when you start you get good tbs, and eventually the pellets go out.
Yes

I work at an air movement company kinda ironic..we built a round setup this morning for me to try kinda like someone's popcorn can mod they did..the engineer here at work thinks a round mod will have better air flow and draft...I will see..if I don't put holes in the mailbox or cover them the tubes or tray will be out in minutes

I work at an air movement company kinda ironic..we built a round setup this morning for me to try kinda like someone's popcorn can mod they did..the engineer here at work thinks a round mod will have better air flow and draft...I will see..if I don't put holes in the mailbox or cover them the tubes or tray will be out in minutes
Well crap if I knew that I wouldn't have put in the detailed pics and tried and true basic no holes needed to drill. Did you plug all the bottom holes?

I have the tray going now on just about an hour in my new mod..It will also accept a hot plate for chunks hopefully the tray will work..I suspect th
Well crap if I knew that I wouldn't have put in the detailed pics and tried and true basic no holes needed to drill. Did you plug all the bottom holes?
I've tried about everything holes plugged the tubes work ok depending on the wind a fan definitely helps..I have my new mod going now and seems to be working with the tubes but not the tray I can also run a hot plate for chunks...I appreciate all the help

Attachments

• IMG_20200407_164115446.jpg
    IMG_20200407_164115446.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200407_165324314.jpg
    IMG_20200407_165324314.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200407_163350211.jpg
    IMG_20200407_163350211.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 12
I used long snorkling runs but like the short higher pressure close proximity results for hot smoking. All these worked. Long for cheeses short for hot. Plugging the coupling in the mailbox into the Mes is the highest air pressure for stoking vs lag from snorkled leaks etc.
20190327_115454.jpg
20180519_164011.jpg
20170511_091255.jpg

CAM00727.jpg
This is my go to set up straight into the chip loader.

Attachments

• 20181103_135041.jpg
    20181103_135041.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Kevinbthgrouse
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky