MES 30 Turkey help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Flsmokie

Original poster
Nov 21, 2019
Hi guys, it’s almost Turkey Day and I’m looking for some help....

I’ll be smoking a whole 15 lb butterball Turkey with a MES 30 and AMPS, I can’t find a straight answer as to whether or not these are pre-brined ( I believe they are). Also, I plan to inject with Tony C’s Cajun butter for my first time, any luck using this stuff? Will it make the skin soggy?

1) assuming it is pre brined, I’ll rinse, pat dry and let sit in fridge uncovered for 24hrs
2) season/ inject the next day
3) heat smoker to 225, add amps and then Whole turkey for 7-8 hours to get IT of 165
4) let sit for 1 hour and foil cover in cooler and then carve
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Most butterballs are pre-injected with solution.

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan in place with the Tony C's injection. It wont make the skin soggy. But if I were you I would smoke it at 275(the highest the MES will go). Poultry doesn't really benefit from a low and slow smoke and you will end up with extremely rubbery and inedible skin. I would smoke to about 160 in the breast then toss it in the oven under the broiler for a few to get the crispy skin. Let it rest for at least 30 min and carve away!

Reactions: Fueling Around
As the acting SMF duly authorized buzz killer, it's not a good idea to run something for the first time for a holiday. S*** happens. Now, if you have a ham and/or another bird in oven and can gamble a little by all means go fer it and plans looks doable to me.

Reactions: chopsaw and jcam222
Don't know your location as far as outside temps are concerned, as it maybe difficult to maintain temperature if in cooler climate but I would suggest spatchcocking that bird. Tony C butter is good for injecting.

As the acting SMF duly authorized buzz killer, it's not a good idea to run something for the first time for a holiday. S*** happens. Now, if you have a ham and/or another bird in oven and can gamble a little by all means go fer it and plans looks doable to me.
haha go big or go home! ;)

Reactions: zwiller
Don't know your location as far as outside temps are concerned, as it maybe difficult to maintain temperature if in cooler climate but I would suggest spatchcocking that bird. Tony C butter is good for injecting.
Thanks! Temps aren't too bad here in sunny FL :)

Definitely I would run at 275F for better skin quality. As others said I might worry a bit on getting to and holding temp if it’s going to be cold. I also highly recommend the Tonys creole butter injections. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Reactions: Flsmokie
Most butterballs are pre-injected with solution.

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan in place with the Tony C's injection. It wont make the skin soggy. But if I were you I would smoke it at 275(the highest the MES will go). Poultry doesn't really benefit from a low and slow smoke and you will end up with extremely rubbery and inedible skin. I would smoke to about 160 in the breast then toss it in the oven under the broiler for a few to get the crispy skin. Let it rest for at least 30 min and carve away!
Thanks for the advise Vol!

If the bird is already pumped , which it probably is , I would NOT inject with Tony's . I use alot of Tony C's injections , but only on meat that is not enhanced .
A pre brined Butter ball should be great as is .
Here's a site I use for nutrition info if I don't have the product on hand .
You can change the serving size .

Last edited:
I'm on the zwiller zwiller and chopsaw chopsaw side of caution.
I'm a salt (sodium) zealot as my wife is diet restricted so we really watch it.

Butterball label:
"Contains up to 8% of a solution of Water, Salt, Spices, and Natural Flavor. "
Serving size (4 oz) has about 200mg or 10% of daily sodium guidelines.

Injecting with Tony C will more than double the sodium plus may or may not be compatible with what Butterball considers "Spices and Natural Flavor".

Big Orange ( SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan ) hit it well, Poultry needs higher heat and less time on the smoke. Easy to turn into the ashtray flavor.

Butterball label:

Injecting with Tony C will more than double the sodium plus may or may not be compatible with what Butterball considers "Spices and Natural Flavor".

Big Orange ( SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan ) hit it well, Poultry needs higher heat and less time on the smoke. Easy to turn into the ashtray flavor.
Thank you guys for all the feed back! I’ll hold of on Tony C’s this round. So if I cook at 275 rather than 225, what temp should I pull from the smoker and finish in the oven? What temp should the oven be? Thanks again everyone!

Thank you guys for all the feed back! I’ll hold of on Tony C’s this round. So if I cook at 275 rather than 225, what temp should I pull from the smoker and finish in the oven? What temp should the oven be? Thanks again everyone!

Give it a nice rub under the skin on the breasts and place pats of butter on them. Gives it great flavor. I would pull 155-160 in the breast. You are only sticking in the oven to broil the skin and get it crisp which shouldn't take long.

Butterball label:

Wife is diehard fan of BB and Honeysuckle "enhanced birds" and I can tell you from experience it is far from properly seasoned. Look at some turkey deli meet stats and they are in 700mg range. Rule of thumb I've developed is to half the salt for enhanced fare. I'd use TonyC but at half the rate.

Hopefully others will chime in as I've never done it, but no way I would use the oven as I suspect it would stink up up house. For birds, overnight pellicle will get you edible skin. Not crispy, but like rotisserie chicken.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Others hit the nail on the head. I did my first turkey in my MES30 last year as well as a backup roasted turkey and the smoked one was the hands down favorite

As other said
275º
I rubbed some evo and tony chacheres on the outside.
Even though mine was enhanced I did the alton brown thaw and brine at the same time and it came out awesome, it was not mushy or too salty.
Once it is done, pop it on a pan and get it in the oven. I did 450º for 20 min.

Important question that you didn't put in, what kind of smoke are you planning?

From my notes it looks like mine was a 12.73lb turkey. Looks like breast hit 165º in 4.5 hours.

Pics are as I took it out of the smoker and after the oven.
IMG_1089.jpeg
IMG_1092.jpeg

Reactions: zwiller
Also. I am pretty happy I have a new 7cuft freezer in the basement so I can buy some cheap turkey for smoking later. A 14lb turkey cost me less than $5....

Wife is diehard fan of BB and Honeysuckle "enhanced birds" and I can tell you from experience it is far from properly seasoned. Look at some turkey deli meet stats and they are in 700mg range. Rule of thumb I've developed is to half the salt for enhanced fare. I'd use TonyC but at half the rate.

Hopefully others will chime in as I've never done it, but no way I would use the oven as I suspect it would stink up up house. For birds, overnight pellicle will get you edible skin. Not crispy, but like rotisserie chicken.
Others hit the nail on the head. I did my first turkey in my MES30 last year as well as a backup roasted turkey and the smoked one was the hands down favorite

As other said
275º
I rubbed some evo and tony chacheres on the outside.
Even though mine was enhanced I did the alton brown thaw and brine at the same time and it came out awesome, it was not mushy or too salty.
Once it is done, pop it on a pan and get it in the oven. I did 450º for 20 min.

Important question that you didn't put in, what kind of smoke are you planning?

From my notes it looks like mine was a 12.73lb turkey. Looks like breast hit 165º in 4.5 hours.

Pics are as I took it out of the smoker and after the oven. View attachment 412350View attachment 412351
Wow that is one tasty looking bird! Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it. Ok I’ll adjust cooking temp to 275 and finish it off in the oven. Would you say Tony C’s injected creole butter would be too salty or strong with this pre-brined bird?

Turkey is "enhanced".
Because of the sodium, I wouldn't inject the turkey.
That is for me and my wife. You need to choose your flavor palate.

Tony C Creole Butter is a salt solution with no real butter.
Here is the ingredients label
Water, Salt, Spice Blend (Salt, Red Pepper, Black Pepper, Garlic and other Spices), Soybean Oil, Dehydrated Garlic, Xanthan Gum, Chili Powder, Citric Acid, Spices, Natural Butter Flavor, Sodium Phosphates.

Sam had a great suggestion

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky