MES 30 Temp Probe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ImEbee

Original poster
Jun 5, 2020
So I just had an issue with my MES 30 where the controller did not sense the ambient temp above about 120f. I’ve had it running empty now for 2 hrs now and it’s maxing at 150f. I did save the bird yesterday by removing my meat probe from the turkey and hung it in the smoker to read the internal temp. Trial and error found if I set a cook temp of 105 on the controller it held an internal temp (250f). The controller still cycled the element and held the “105” (250) but it required much more babysitting than I wanted. Good news is the bird got good reviews but there ain’t no way I’m trusting a shoulder or brisket in this thing now. Is this a temp probe issue or a symptom of my controller going out? I’ve read a few of the PID mod threads and thinking I should just rewire this thing rather than monkey with OEM replacements.

Cheers!
Eric

^ ^ ^ this
I wouldn't trust the temperature the meat probe was showing hanging in there either. Need at least a 2 probe, preferably a 4 probe digital thermometer to get accurate temps.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky