MES 30 Questions - new owner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

frek

Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Sorry if these questions have been asked.  

I noticed the probe temp on my unit was about 15 degrees high last night on my first cook.  I double checked first against a separate thermometer I have.  Then I took it out of bird and let it lie on rack exposed and checked it vs temp reading the main unit was reading.

Both instances was about 15 high.  Is there a way to adjust this or do I just have a bad probe?  

Also, the box where I put the water tray is pitched and the water pan rocks back and forth.  Not level.  This is normal?  

Last, I noticed some smoke leakage around window seal.  I am not talking about door seal.  I don't think it is much to be concerned about but is this also normal?  

Thanks and glad to be part of the group.  

The probe in the MES are usually off a bit and not linear. Mine is usually off by 20° at start-up and is only 2° off by the end of the cook. There is no adjustment that I know of but calling Masterbuilt will get you a new probe if it is under warranty. Of course it may also be off so I just go by my tested accurate MAV 732. Sounds like you have a new Generation MES so I can't speak as to the water pan but the gasket around the glass should not leak. Again, contact Masterbuilt and they will most likely send a new door...JJ

Thanks for the response JJ.  I may do a temp test on the probe into boiling water.  See how much off it shows vs 212

I have been having trouble with new model 20071514 ( Lowes 30 inch) found out Sunday that BOTH the box temp sensor and the meat probe sensor are off by 30 degrees at 170 degrees. I found this out by turkey breast did not look right when meat probe said 170, I used my other two digital meat probes to verify turkey both said 134 when MB meat probe said 170 same depth and place

Sorry the wrong key so I did this test today....unit stablized ( been off for over 12 hours) unit not in direct sunlight, turned unit ON temp said 94 degrees, also meat probe said 94 degrees, my digital temp probe said 79 degrees.....turn unit to 225 degrees set temp let unit stabilize for 2 hours damper closed....after 2 hours both display said 225 and meat probe said 225....I opened the damper just enough to insert my digital meat probe and my reading was 196 degrees....not good!

This explains the lack of smoke along with black wood chips and no ash at all in the ash pan, plus the long cook times.

I sent Masterbuild an email explaing my findings and I will update the group when I hear something,

SO ALL MB that come from Lowes..verify your temps!

Gordie 

Sorry the wrong key so I did this test today....unit stablized ( been off for over 12 hours) unit not in direct sunlight, turned unit ON temp said 94 degrees, also meat probe said 94 degrees, my digital temp probe said 79 degrees.....turn unit to 225 degrees set temp let unit stabilize for 2 hours damper closed....after 2 hours both display said 225 and meat probe said 225....I opened the damper just enough to insert my digital meat probe and my reading was 196 degrees....not good!

This explains the lack of smoke along with black wood chips and no ash at all in the ash pan, plus the long cook times.

I sent Masterbuild an email explaing my findings and I will update the group when I hear something,

SO ALL MB that come from Lowes..verify your temps!

Gordie 
Gordie,

Now I don't feel so bad about my 2007512 (40") being off 30 deg f. Sorry.

I've documented changes to my MES (so far) here: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/151864/mes-40-model-20070512-temperature-problems

I've read several posts about temperature problems in MESes. I've also read some people get new units by calling MES and explaining the problem. I planned to shift to a PID control system so the chamber probe doesn't matter to me. I use an iGrill for meat temperature so that didn't matter either.

Good luck. Let us know if/how you resolve your temperature issue.

Holyfeld.

Temperature update! I called MB today and spoke with customer service, they said that the whole box must be replaced, and normally they would send one out, unfortunately they were out of stock, and the girl said to return it to Lowe's because it is still under warranty. Went to Lowe's exchanged it ( no problem with Lowe's) and I got another one. I will un box it tomorrow and do a temp test on it to see if this one is any better ( or worse).

Gordie

MB called me today after i sent them a email stating the replacement unit is almost as bad temp wise. MB said they have discovered a c
programing error in the controller,new updated controlers are 4 to 6 weeks away.

Reactions: brewski
MB called me today after i sent them a email stating the replacement unit is almost as bad temp wise. MB said they have discovered a c
programing error in the controller,new updated controlers are 4 to 6 weeks away.
As much trash as we talk about them, they really try hard to fix their units after sale. I realize it doesn't help you today, but I have had cars that gave me more problems than mine did. I am glad they returned your call, understood (w/o an interpreter needed) your problem and agreed to take care of it as soon as possible. I know US companies that could take notes!

Let us know how things evolve.

Could be a dumb question, but I just assembled my MES 30 today. How do I verify the accuracy of my built in meat probe? Set the temp on the unit and sit the probe on a rack and check to see if it reads the same temp as what I set the unit to?

You can either immerse it in a pan of ice water or in a thermos of boiling water. You know those numbers.  

Or use another known thermometer to test it.

When playing round doing this, I learned that my stove oven is 10 degrees off...LOL

Last edited:
Masterbuilt called me a couple of days ago and said new updated temperature controllers are still on back order, they did offer me a "cold smoker" attachment for a discounted price, since I have been waiting for the updated controller.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky