MES 30 MODEL # HELP!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bear,, one last question this one does not come with remote so isn't this a gen 2??  thanks Steve anymore questions I will PM you can you look at bass pro and look at this one make sure for me I am a smoker fridge guy in small community so really want to make sure before I buy this with 3 kids 200 bucks is a lot but worth it if it is right one.

Thanks DS

Bear,, one last question this one does not come with remote so isn't this a gen 2??  thanks Steve anymore questions I will PM you can you look at bass pro and look at this one make sure for me I am a smoker fridge guy in small community so really want to make sure before I buy this with 3 kids 200 bucks is a lot but worth it if it is right one.

Thanks DS
The one you posted in Post #18 is definitely a Gen #3. Too many problems right now. Maybe the Gen #3 MES 30s don't come with remotes, but I thought they did.

Bear

First generation is any model with rear mounted controller, top vent, and a water pan that fits into rack holders. Gen 2 is any model with front controller, side exhaust, and sloped drip catcher with square water pan on the left, some models have wheels, removeable external access drip tray. No gen 3. All the earlier designs with rear controllers were built the same in the interiors. New gens have problems still with the controllers, and lack of air flow......... some have other issues also. I had a unit like bearcarver for about 2 years and loved it. Went to a gen 2 this past december and have a 4th unit being sent to me as we speak because of fire in tge first one, bad controllers and sensors in the others...... with about a total three weeks of smoking time on these things since december. I figure 1 more and I can take them all to the scrap yard and maybe get enough cash for another brand. Loved my old model. Nothing but problems with the new.

Last edited:
The one you posted in Post #18 is definitely a Gen #3. Too many problems right now. Maybe the Gen #3 MES 30s don't come with remotes, but I thought they did.

Bear
Thanks bear you just saved me a bunch of $$$ will look for the one with back panel.
biggrin.gif

First generation is any model with rear mounted controller, top vent, and a water pan that fits into rack holders. Gen 2 is any model with front controller, side exhaust, and sloped drip catcher with square water pan on the left, wheels. No gen 3. All the earlier designs with rear controllers were build the same in the interiors. New gens have problems still with the controllers, and lack of air flow......... some have other issues also. I had a unit like bearcarver for about 2 years and loved it. Went to a gen 2 this past december and have a 4th unit being sent to me as we speak with about a total three weeks of smoking time on these things since december. I figure 1 more and I can take them all to the scrap yard and maybe get enough cash for another brand. Loved my old model. Nothing but problems with the new.
I figured what you're calling 1st Gen was split in two, because the one like I have had the chip burner assembly problem, and the earlier one didn't. I believe only that one was eligible for the retro-fix. You could be right---I just figured it was #1, #2, and #3 to avoid confusion.

Those first two had different controllers, different chip drawers, different chip dumpers, one had a remote---The other didn't. Not arguing with you, but that's why I called them one, two, and three. Quite different.

Thanks,

Bear

I figured what you're calling 1st Gen was split in two, because the one like I have had the chip burner assembly problem, and the earlier one didn't. I believe only that one was eligible for the retro-fix. You could be right---I just figured it was #1, #2, and #3 to avoid confusion.

Those first two had different controllers, different chip drawers, different chip dumpers, one had a remote---The other didn't. Not arguing with you, but that's why I called them one, two, and three. Quite different.

Thanks,
Bear

The basic interior design remained the same on remote, non remote, square or rounded controllers. If you google gen 2 you'll find the pictures of the new front mounted controllers with the new lousy interior design and bad electronics. Google masterbuilt gen 3 and you get nothing.

Dridstick
You are right in looking for the earlier model.

Last edited:
The basic interior design remained the same on remote, non remote, square or rounded controllers. If you google gen 2 you'll find the pictures of the new front mounted controllers with the new lousy interior design and bad electronics. Google masterbuilt gen 3 and you get nothing.

Dridstick
You are right in looking for the earlier model.
Thanks just found one at wal mart or home depot for 177.00 seems little high to me May wait for a while till they come on sell.

Thanks just found one at wal mart or home depot for 177.00 seems little high to me May wait for a while till they come on sell.
That sounds like a pretty good price.

Bear

No problem. If that's what everybody calls them, that's what I'll call them. I was out of the loop when the New one came out.

I was trying to avoid the problem I run into all the time. Every time a Newbi says "My Gen #1 won't put out smoke until it gets up to 230* "  Then the old first question is, "Which Gen #1 do you have?" Because if it's the newer "Gen #1" it's because there is an extra piece of metal between the element and the chip drawer, and if it's the older one, it's some other problem.

However not calling them by the same name as everybody else would be worse. I got it now!!

Thanks,

Bear

Only problem I have, bear, is that I don't have my old model (whatever you want to call it). I loved that thing. My traeger has gotten me through but I got tired of waiting to get a good electric one from mb, although they are sending me a new one....again. I simply ripped the wiring out of one of the dead cabinets and went with an Auber PID and some increased airflow and she's been pretty good. Hell, I even married one of the other dead cabinets to a treager pellet exhaust vent so that I have a mes vertical smoker cabinet 3 feet off the ground attached to a traeger texas elite. Just wish masterbuilt would send me a unit I could use out of the box. All the best to you and the mrs.
BTW....... . speaking of the Mrs. Any more dessert recipes you can allow me to steal that may be as good as that raspberry pie thing a while back. I fooled a few people into thinking I'm a dessert chef with that one. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Only problem I have, bear, is that I don't have my old model (whatever you want to call it). I loved that thing. My traeger has gotten me through but I got tired of waiting to get a good electric one from mb, although they are sending me a new one....again. I simply ripped the wiring out of one of the dead cabinets and went with an Auber PID and some increased airflow and she's been pretty good. Hell, I even married one of the other dead cabinets to a treager pellet exhaust vent so that I have a mes vertical smoker cabinet 3 feet off the ground attached to a traeger texas elite. Just wish masterbuilt would send me a unit I could use out of the box. All the best to you and the mrs.
Yeah, Darryl is working hard on the problems. I suggested they make a new model just like the Gen #1, but keep the exhaust on the top left, and the bigger window in the door, and keep the door hinged left. These are the only three things from the Gen #2 that I would keep.

The biggest thing is to get back the control box on the top rear, and get rid of the stupid slanted metal plate with the little water pan in it.

Later,

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky