MES 30 in, wire burned out... help with parts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 21, 2017
south central Pennsylvania
So about a year ago my MES30in took a dump on me and the wires to the element burnt out.
sfdsfsdfsd.jpg

it must have gotta so hot that it literally melted the rub seal on the back plate as well
sfsfsdfasfasdfas.jpg

Since its hunting season and I finally got a doe( no pictures sorry) I'm gonna want to be making some snack sticks, summer sausages and this year I want to try to do some venison bacon but my Pit-boss doesn't get to low enough of a temperature in order to smoke them so I want to fix up my mes30. so my question is can i get just the wires for this? I found a element that has wires but the wires looks cheaper/ different than whats in my smoker right now.

Link to replacement wire/element: https://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/search/part/2108399/215403/

I'd imagine that others have experienced this as well and some knowledge and help would be much appreciated! I have no problem buying this "element kit" that has the wires but I just want to make sure its the correct thing first before ordering

What is a good solution ???
Strip 1/2" on the incoming wire insulation... Check the integrity of the wire... If it's compromised, cut the wire back to good wire... cut about 1/2" at a time until you get to good wire...
The element lugs, wire brush and sandpaper the lugs... get to clean metal...
Then tin the wire ends and element lugs with solder... Then solder the wires to the lugs... Slip some shrink tube on the wires BEFORE you solder them... shrink the tube....
That is a permanent fix.. no more corrosion... EVER ....

What is a good solution ???
Strip 1/2" on the incoming wire insulation... Check the integrity of the wire... If it's compromised, cut the wire back to good wire... cut about 1/2" at a time until you get to good wire...
The element lugs, wire brush and sandpaper the lugs... get to clean metal...
Then tin the wire ends and element lugs with solder... Then solder the wires to the lugs... Slip some shrink tube on the wires BEFORE you solder them... shrink the tube....
That is a permanent fix.. no more corrosion... EVER ....

so basically youre saying to skip the connection type of fixs and just solder the wire to the element, correct?

If it got hot enough to melt the rubber. Then I might get concerned about the solder joints failing. Doubtful, but IMHO I would recommend high temp crimp on terminals.

The only reason stuff melted is.... A poor connection... poor connections create increased amperage and heat... Direct soldering the connection eliminates poor connections... Mine has been fine since January 2011... no problems.... Don't worry about the wires getting hot... The heat, in a heating element does not get generated until you get an inch or two along the element... The resistance wire or rod can not instantly create heat in the first inch or so...

The only reason stuff melted is.... A poor connection... poor connections create increased amperage and heat... Direct soldering the connection eliminates poor connections... Mine has been fine since January 2011... no problems.... Don't worry about the wires getting hot... The heat, in a heating element does not get generated until you get an inch or two along the element... The resistance wire or rod can not instantly create heat in the first inch or so...

I understand that. But did that cause the rubber gasket to melt? Or was heat escaping from where the element comes through the wall. That was my thought.

So about a year ago my MES30in took a dump on me and the wires to the element burnt out.View attachment 410380

it must have gotta so hot that it literally melted the rub seal on the back plate as wellView attachment 410382

Since its hunting season and I finally got a doe( no pictures sorry) I'm gonna want to be making some snack sticks, summer sausages and this year I want to try to do some venison bacon but my Pit-boss doesn't get to low enough of a temperature in order to smoke them so I want to fix up my mes30. so my question is can i get just the wires for this? I found a element that has wires but the wires looks cheaper/ different than whats in my smoker right now.

Link to replacement wire/element: https://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/search/part/2108399/215403/

I'd imagine that others have experienced this as well and some knowledge and help would be much appreciated! I have no problem buying this "element kit" that has the wires but I just want to make sure its the correct thing first before ordering

The wire is just 16 AWG insulated wire so if you need to find wire that is what you will look for.
You can solder as Dave suggests or use connectors but if you use connectors to the heating element use stainless steel high temp ones. These are the correct size for both the wires and heating element spades:

You have a couple of routes to take but this should get you going :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky