MES 30 Conversion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

creek bottom

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 13, 2019
Northwestern PA
Many THANKS to JONOK!!! After seeing threads about converting an MES to burn chunks instead of chips, I reached out to him and he agreed to do one for my MES 30. Pictures below show what I received from him and one showing it installed in my cabinet. Did a few racks of spares yesterday and they turned out awesome! Started out with a small amount of hickory chunks in the combustion pan. They easily lasted the entire 4 hours at 275 degrees. I didn't have to worry about adding chips, AWESOME!!! Had nice clean smoke the entire time... Can't wait to try a longer cook like pork butt or brisket...
conversion kit.JPG

conversion2.jpg

chunks.jpg

ribs.jpg

Jonok sent me a new drip pan. It's on the first bottom grate (I lined with foil before I cooked)... I ran at 275 degrees the whole time. Everything worked perfect...

Reactions: Pilot Bird
750ACC0E-26D5-4DC8-88FE-2241C8A731A5.jpeg
Very impressive run you had. Mine looked like this after a 14 hour run. Nice smoke the whole time, No creosote taste in the pork butt.

Not having to over fill the chip tray ever 20 minutes with the ensuing flash fire flare ups, keeps the higher box temperatures from happening, which keeps the wires on the back of the box from burning. The damage seen here was from a very few smokes with the chip tray.

B93BBE07-1CBC-40B6-9E4C-20A145297DC3.jpeg

Looks good. Looks like you took the chip pan right out??
What temp were you running the MES at??
Gary
I’m sorry. I misread your message the first time (print too small on my phone)... Yes, the chip pan comes completely out. The loader hole got covered with a couple of plates with a ball valve to allow air for draft if necessary. The new smoke generator pan sits on the rack above the element....

Not really an “intake and exhaust”.

What happens is that the wood destructively distills in the generator, the distallate condenses on the bars on the inside of the lid, and then drips back down onto the (really hot) bottom of the generator. The resultant hot volatiles then are released through the vents on the top (the atmosphere in the generator is pretty much anaerobic) and combust on the way out in a controlled fashion. That way, no creosote, and consistent production (the temp of the base of the generator is pretty stable at a steady state smoker temp>215 or so and will continue to function) of nice thin blue smoke on a single load for 12-18 hrs.

Reactions: creek bottom
Not really an “intake and exhaust”.

What happens is that the wood destructively distills in the generator, the distallate condenses on the bars on the inside of the lid, and then drips back down onto the (really hot) bottom of the generator. The resultant hot volatiles then are released through the vents on the top (the atmosphere in the generator is pretty much anaerobic) and combust on the way out in a controlled fashion. That way, no creosote, and consistent production (the temp of the base of the generator is pretty stable at a steady state smoker temp>215 or so and will continue to function) of nice thin blue smoke on a single load for 12-18 hrs.

Jonok, Thanks for the explanation. reminds me of Chem101 and Biochem, way to many years ago. I just never thought of a anaerobic process, just always put wood in the aerobic mind thought. I did get kicked out of high school chem class playing with the aerobic process. (Oxygen + Heat + fuel = Fire). I guess that is why I like smoking. Adults version of playing with fire.

Is this the same type of processes that liquid smoke at the stores is made by using the escaping volatiles?
Or the basis of making charcoal (left over wood)?

I hope you don't mind if I build your anaerobic smoke generator for my electric fridge smoker just to play with it and how this works.

Doesn’t bother me at all.
PM me and I’ll be happy to share what works for me specifically, and well as overload you with information as to what I have done wrong along the way too!

Jonok Jonok do you have a thread on this mod? Deciding between this or simple amazn for the electric I’m looking at. The thing I like here is that it seems to use less of the cooking space in an already smaller size smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky