MES 140S - Good Price?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

backroader

Original poster
May 9, 2020
I've been researching smokers for a while now and have a found ton of good information on this forum. I've decided an MES is the way to go and I'm planning on going with the 40" based on the recommendations I've seen here.

Here are the better prices I've found for the MES 140S:
-Academy - $250 - https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ma...ctric-smoker-123081613p#repChildCatid=7983038
-Walmart - $220 - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Masterbuilt-MES-140S-Digital-Electric-Smoker/926515103
-Fleet Farm - $280 - https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/ma...-electric-smoker/0000000309254?bc=Masterbuilt

What is considered a good price for a MES 140S? I don't want to wait forever but I was wondering if the price ever dips beneath $200.

I would consider a 140B as well but I don't see them very often and when I do they don't seem much cheaper.

Ya know I see folks saying they find stuff with brick seeker but I haven't never had no luck, also they don't discount on end of seasons like they did years ago at walmart, I have probably the first generation of the 40" with the glass in the door, it has been great and still works like it should, you might look on Amazon , good luck

Reactions: tallbm and sm0kin
My last MES40 (2nd one) was $179 on Amazon...but it was an older model that was discontinued. It was an MES 2.0 - but I like it better than my newer one that finally died, which I really liked as well.

The bad news with an older model is if you ever need parts you could be waiting for a few weeks. Masterbuilt Customer Support has always been top notch too.

199 at academy is likely the best deal you will find. I have that model, and I’ll share my thoughts. The light inside is useless. The window must be cleaned regularly to be useful, I don’t bother. I upgraded the controls right after I got it to an auber WiFi and added a mailbox mod of sorts. It does a great job holding temps within 2°
75CB36D7-5B06-4F1C-9E09-C0941100648C.jpeg
8B37B419-B079-44A7-BADA-550EDBDA3273.png

Reactions: tallbm
199 at academy is likely the best deal you will find. I have that model, and I’ll share my thoughts. The light inside is useless. The window must be cleaned regularly to be useful, I don’t bother. I upgraded the controls right after I got it to an auber WiFi and added a mailbox mod of sorts. It does a great job holding temps within 2°
View attachment 444492View attachment 444493
I drilled through the inside light bulb wire hole into a block of wood on the outside and terminated a 16 gauge extension cord to the socket with the oem screw terminals and heat shrinked the wires. The ceramic socket is rated at 75 watts so I found the largest appliance bulb that fit (40 watts) that replaced the 15 watt oem. The socket lens is foiled over till I have a night smoke and then I peel it off. The lens has a screw holding it on and I remove and hit it with easy off oven cleaner and use a razor on the window and it comes clean in 3 minutes. With my Auber PID I lost the light so this was my fix because I wanted 3xs the light. It's another outdoor tv during the warmer months. Sealed outside hole with RTV high temp silicone which almost plugged itself with shrink tubing.
Before:
20180228_105045.jpg
After:
20190901_200052.jpg
20190901_214555.jpg
20190901_230610.jpg
The PID holding within in a couple degrees gives a nice bark I didn't get with the averaging on/off controller because the sugar tends to burn more on the over shoots.

Reactions: sm0kin
I drilled through the inside light bulb wire hole into a block of wood on the outside and terminated a 16 gauge extension cord to the socket with the oem screw terminals and heat shrinked the wires. The ceramic socket is rated at 75 watts so I found the largest appliance bulb that fit (40 watts) that replaced the 15 watt oem. The socket lens is foiled over till I have a night smoke and then I peel it off. The lens has a screw holding it on and I remove and hit it with easy off oven cleaner and use a razor on the window and it comes clean in 3 minutes. With my Auber PID I lost the light so this was my fix because I wanted 3xs the light. It's another outdoor tv during the warmer months. Sealed outside hole with RTV high temp silicone which almost plugged itself with shrink tubing.
Before:
View attachment 445255
After:
View attachment 445256
View attachment 445257
View attachment 445258
The PID holding within in a couple degrees gives a nice bark I didn't get with the averaging on/off controller because the sugar tends to burn more on the over shoots.

This is my first one with a window and light, but honestly I could do without both. Good info on the light mod, if I ever decide I need to see in there I might do it lol. I’ve also discovered that cooking hot and fast at 275-295 really suits my taste buds

I've been researching smokers for a while now and have a found ton of good information on this forum. I've decided an MES is the way to go and I'm planning on going with the 40" based on the recommendations I've seen here.

Here are the better prices I've found for the MES 140S:
-Academy - $250 - https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ma...ctric-smoker-123081613p#repChildCatid=7983038
-Walmart - $220 - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Masterbuilt-MES-140S-Digital-Electric-Smoker/926515103
-Fleet Farm - $280 - https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/ma...-electric-smoker/0000000309254?bc=Masterbuilt

What is considered a good price for a MES 140S? I don't want to wait forever but I was wondering if the price ever dips beneath $200.

I would consider a 140B as well but I don't see them very often and when I do they don't seem much cheaper.

Hi there and welcome! An MES 40 under/at $200 is about as good as they come on sale. Academy has these deals around the Thanksgiving blackfriday/cyber monday weekend.

Honestly the best MES 40 you can buy is a used one off craigslist for like $40-$50 and then pay $150 for an Auber PID and do the simple rewire to the MES and you have a smoker at $200 that destroys a brand new MES when it comes to performance, reliability, and bbq making.

As 2 guys above can attest they did the simple rewire and put Auber PID controllers and never looked back!
If you are worrying about cleaning a used MES 40 I would take it to the car wash and wash it out and because you are rewiring u dont need to worry about getting the electronics wet so cleaning is easy peasy :)

I hope this info helps you out no matter which route u go :)

Reactions: sm0kin
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky