MES 130b: a-maze-n tray or tube & other ?s

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Omnivore

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
Hi all,
I just clicked 'buy' MES 130b for $168. While this is the low end on the MES line, it's a huge upgrade for me.

Couple questions for all the seasoned smokers out there :)
Should I use an a-maz-n tray or the tube? If I use the tube does it go in a mailbox mod or can it fit in the chip dumper (I either read about that option somewhere or I'm totally making things up).

Does the smoke taste any different/better coming from the mailbox mod? I only ask this because last time I smoked salmon on my bullet smoker I picked up a weird lighter fluid taste from the pieces that were almost directly above the pellet tube. (I'm using traeger signature blend from Costco in a generic tube).

Is it worth adding a heat deflector to raise temps on the left side or should I just rotate the racks (fish) half way through?

Water pan - to fill or not to fill? Mostly smoking fish and sausages at low temps.

Thanks for the help everyone. I know there will be a learning curve but I'm really looking forward to testing this thing out!

I have the mes 30 and use the amnps tray with the mailbox mod, love it, yes I think you get a cleaner smoke using the mailbox, never used the tube so can't say nothing about that, I don't use water, always leave vent wide open, as of the heat deflector ,I just rotate 1/2 way through cook. good luck also you don't need expensive equipment to make great food.

Reactions: Omnivore
Hi all,
I just clicked 'buy' MES 130b for $168. While this is the low end on the MES line, it's a huge upgrade for me.

Couple questions for all the seasoned smokers out there :)
Should I use an a-maz-n tray or the tube? If I use the tube does it go in a mailbox mod or can it fit in the chip dumper (I either read about that option somewhere or I'm totally making things up).

Does the smoke taste any different/better coming from the mailbox mod? I only ask this because last time I smoked salmon on my bullet smoker I picked up a weird lighter fluid taste from the pieces that were almost directly above the pellet tube. (I'm using traeger signature blend from Costco in a generic tube).

Is it worth adding a heat deflector to raise temps on the left side or should I just rotate the racks (fish) half way through?

Water pan - to fill or not to fill? Mostly smoking fish and sausages at low temps.

Thanks for the help everyone. I know there will be a learning curve but I'm really looking forward to testing this thing out!

Hi there and welcome!

I vote you go for the tray. Now a handful of MES30 guys have pinged me when they have had problems using the tray inside their MES30 and the solution was to create a mailbox mod for it. One guy I personally know went with the tube and that fixed his issue with the MES30 (I have read others use the tube in the MES30 with great success as well).

The tube is reported to get you about 3 hours worth of smoke and produces more smoke. The tray can get you 12 hours of smoke no problem. I prefer 12 hours. I also run a mailbox mod with my larger MES40 for a number of reasons and love it. I live in TX so I can only cold smoke a couple of months out of the year at our coldest and even then I'm not to far from cold smoking temp limits so adding more heat in the box is not good for me. This is one major reason I rock a mailbox mod. Another is that I like 100% independent control of smoke without having to open my smoker. Another is that if a flame up situation occurs it happens outside of my MES and easy to deal with :)

Recommendation: Go with the tray and try it inside the MES. If it gives you issues move to the mailbox mod... simple :)

I don't think taste would be much different from the mailbox mod. I rock Lumberjack 100% wood pellets and make my blends of their 100% pellets the way I desire. This makes for the best flavor.

No water in the water pan. Some guys fill with sand or other stuff and foil over it and turn it into a heat sink. You can try the deflector stuff but that's all up to you and what you can achieve with your tinkering there.

Final tips here.
If you don't have a good wireless dual probe (or more probes) digital thermometer then that is the next thing to get. All of of us MES owners basically get the thermometer and the AMNPS to make life much easier. The MES probes (smoker and meat probes) are ALWAYS way off. Hence the need for a dual probe thermometer (1 probe for smoker temp, 1 probe for meat internal temp). I personally like having 4 probes or more so you can know what multiple areas of your smoker temp looks like as well as put a couple of probes inside various pieces of meat OR into one large hunk of meat to get the most accurate reading.

I hope all this info helps and enjoy the MES! :)

Tallbm has you covered. Can’t add a whole lot but I use the pellet tray and put it in the lower left corner of my MES40. Make sure you pull the chip dumper halfway out in the dump position to allow for airflow. Never had a problem. Depending on what I’m smoking sometimes I’ll put foil on the left side of the rack above the tray to even put the smoke and protect it from any drippings.

Holy cow that is super helpful info from everyone. Thank you so much. I can't wait to get this thing in the mail.

Side note - my friend and I are splitting a pasture-raised hog from a farm further down the coast. My share of pork comes in the same day as the smoker. Gonna be busy next weekend!

Reactions: tallbm
It really depends on your altitude as to whether you need a Tray or a Tube.
High altitudes should use a Tube.

I recommend that people try the tray without a Mailbox first, to see how you like it. If you can't keep it going no matter what else you try, go to a Mailbox.

I've used 3 different MES units for nearly 10 years, and all I do is light it properly, and put it in the best place in whichever MES I'm using & Smoke away. No Hassle playing with other objects that need to be covered with my MES, or disconnected.

BTW: As for the heat deflector, it depends on which Generation MES you have.
The Gen #2.5 doesn't need one.
The Gen #1 usually does need one.

No water in an MES water pan. An MES already has too much Humidity in it, without adding water.

Bear

It really depends on your altitude as to whether you need a Tray or a Tube.
High altitudes should use a Tube.

I recommend that people try the tray without a Mailbox first, to see how you like it. If you can't keep it going no matter what else you try, go to a Mailbox.

I've used 3 different MES units for nearly 10 years, and all I do is light it properly, and put it in the best place in whichever MES I'm using & Smoke away. No Hassle playing with other objects that need to be covered with my MES, or disconnected.

BTW: As for the heat deflector, it depends on which Generation MES you have.
The Gen #2.5 doesn't need one.
The Gen #1 usually does need one.

No water in an MES water pan. An MES already has too much Humidity in it, without adding water.

Bear

Thanks for the info Bear. I've read lots of your posts while beginning this adventure in smoking and they've really helped.

The vent for the 130b 20071117 is on the top right, directly above the heat element so safe to say it's a 1st gen?

Reactions: dr k
Thanks for the info Bear. I've read lots of your posts while beginning this adventure in smoking and they've really helped.

The vent for the 130b 20071117 is on the top right, directly above the heat element so safe to say it's a 1st gen?

Hi Omni,
I just did a refresher on the MES130b:
That is a Hybrid, with a Gen #1 exterior, and a Gen 2.5 Interior, with the top vent on the Right, like a Gen #1.

If that was an MES 40, I would say it might need a heat deflector, like I used to use in my MES 40 Gen #1.
However since it is an MES 30, I don't think it would need one, because the 30" Unit is more narrow than the 40" Unit, and that means the heat doesn't have to be pushed that far from right to left to get it to the middle of the smoker.

I would put a temp probe on the right of the second rack & one on the left of the same rack, and compare the temperatures for awhile.

Bear

Reactions: Omnivore and dr k
Hi Omni,
I just did a refresher on the MES130b:
That is a Hybrid, with a Gen #1 exterior, and a Gen 2.5 Interior, with the top vent on the Right, like a Gen #1.

If that was an MES 40, I would say it might need a heat deflector, like I used to use in my MES 40 Gen #1.
However since it is an MES 30, I don't think it would need one, because the 30" Unit is more narrow than the 40" Unit, and that means the heat doesn't have to be pushed that far from right to left to get it to the middle of the smoker.

I would put a temp probe on the right of the second rack & one on the left of the same rack, and compare the temperatures for awhile.

Bear

Thanks for the help once again. All this info is setting me up for some damn good cooking.

Ok one more question. Got the a-maze-n tray in the mail. Would it be ok to set it over the chip cover? It's slightly tilted down towards the door so it isn't wobbly. Would direct heat damage the chip cover? Sorry if this is a silly question, just trying to keep the smoke a little bit further from the 2nd to lowest rack (leaving lowest rack empty) while not ruining any of the MES.

Attachments

• 20190722_170437.jpg
    20190722_170437.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 57
Ok one more question. Got the a-maze-n tray in the mail. Would it be ok to set it over the chip cover? It's slightly tilted down towards the door so it isn't wobbly. Would direct heat damage the chip cover? Sorry if this is a silly question, just trying to keep the smoke a little bit further from the 2nd to lowest rack (leaving lowest rack empty) while not ruining any of the MES.

I wouldn't do that.
I would put it on that bottom rack, just above where you have it in the picture.
It could get too hot where you have it, causing the whole thing to ignite & burn out with heavy smoke in less than 1 hour.

Putting it on the right end of the bottom rack (Where I put mine) means you could pull your chip dumper out 2 or 3" to allow air flow to the AMNPS, and pushing it back in for less air flow.
That bottom rack is too close to the heat to put meat on it anyway (IMHO), so you won't be losing any space.

Bear

Reactions: tallbm and Omnivore
Might I suggest a smoker box. 14 hours no chips no fuss and,

9DA87E9D-7E53-4660-A0BE-65B2C4028AD1.jpeg

the end product with just the right amount of the smoke taste with no creosote bite.

EEAC36B5-4794-4DA3-ACEC-14A96713FFE4.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky