Meatloaf Failure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I tried the Jacked Up Meatloaf and did not come out good. First used my AG Leggs breakfast sausage seasoning which really did not work with this. Used some pepper jack that been vacuum sealed and been in fridge probably few years. Did not melt. Used some fresh bread crumbs I made at Thanksgiving that might not of been good. I had some brisket juice left from a brisket I smoked for a friend and made some gravy from it. I tried using some roux I had bought in a jar. Gave it a bad flour taste. To many bad choices. Oh well. Seems like I try a different meatloaf recipe about every time I make it. I have done Jake's and Al's and both where very good. Some times things just don't work out. Part of trying new things.

At least my Shrimp Cocktail was good:

IMG_20221231_144920003.jpg

IMG_20221231_182149608.jpg IMG_20221231_185520300.jpg IMG_20221231_185652797_HDR.jpg

Well Brian, sorry it didn't turn out like you had hoped. When things don't go the way I'd like, I learned something...

Dang Brian . The first paragraph has me reaching for a beer ! Lol .
Last one I did was a couple days after I made sausage . Mixed it up adding some different spices . Smoked , slice and ready to eat . Sat down to the first bite and my Son says " This taste like bratwurst " It did too . Not really a bad thing , unless you want a meatloaf that taste like a meatloaf .

You texture looks spot on . Nice looking plate .

I've done the jacked up meatloaf recipe from Susie's site myself (if that's the one you're talking about), and even for my love of booze the bourbon flavor was overpowering and made it not enjoyable for that reason only.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Thank you for sharing, the first picture looked like a success🤣Sorry it didn’t turn out, but big salute for going for it. My wife gets frustrated with me for not sticking to one thing, but it’s more fun experimenting, even with the fails🤣 Happy New Year!

Been there before as well! Does look good though. Maybe you could make a country song about it lol!

Ryan

Brian, sorry to hear that it cratered on you. The pic of the whole meatloaf actually looks pretty good. At least the best part came out well: the shrimp :emoji_laughing: As you said though, they don't all go well but you keep at it and keep trying.

Robert

You certainly get an 'E' for effort, Brian. The way it looks, I'd be digging in.

sorry that it didn't taste good for you, but it sure looks good on your plate!

Well Brian, sorry it didn't turn out like you had hoped. When things don't go the way I'd like, I learned something...

Dang Brian . The first paragraph has me reaching for a beer ! Lol .
Last one I did was a couple days after I made sausage . Mixed it up adding some different spices . Smoked , slice and ready to eat . Sat down to the first bite and my Son says " This taste like bratwurst " It did too . Not really a bad thing , unless you want a meatloaf that taste like a meatloaf .

You texture looks spot on . Nice looking plate .

I've done the jacked up meatloaf recipe from Susie's site myself (if that's the one you're talking about), and even for my love of booze the bourbon flavor was overpowering and made it not enjoyable for that reason only.

We all have "that day" It looks good though. The shrimp cocktail looks very good.

Thank you for sharing, the first picture looked like a success🤣Sorry it didn’t turn out, but big salute for going for it. My wife gets frustrated with me for not sticking to one thing, but it’s more fun experimenting, even with the fails🤣 Happy New Year!

Have been thru that before when you get that look, what is "this".
It happens

Yeah too much winging it and Frankensteining. We ALL done it before lol. Least the cook was good.

Been there before as well! Does look good though. Maybe you could make a country song about it lol!

Ryan

Brian, sorry to hear that it cratered on you. The pic of the whole meatloaf actually looks pretty good. At least the best part came out well: the shrimp :emoji_laughing: As you said though, they don't all go well but you keep at it and keep trying.

Robert

Looks good to me. I’d dig in.

You certainly get an 'E' for effort, Brian. The way it looks, I'd be digging in.
Was not going to post but figured might as well share. We all have failures and it is part of learning. I have more than my share. Sad thing was guys on river where expecting meatloaf on the river for New Years Day. At least I did have some Chocolate Moonshine!

I tried the Jacked Up Meatloaf and did not come out good. First used my AG Leggs breakfast sausage seasoning which really did not work with this. Used some pepper jack that been vacuum sealed and been in fridge probably few years. Did not melt. Used some fresh bread crumbs I made at Thanksgiving that might not of been good. I had some brisket juice left from a brisket I smoked for a friend and made some gravy from it. I tried using some roux I had bought in a jar. Gave it a bad flour taste. To many bad choices. Oh well. Seems like I try a different meatloaf recipe about every time I make it. I have done Jake's and Al's and both where very good. Some times things just don't work out. Part of trying new things.

At least my Shrimp Cocktail was good:

View attachment 653173

View attachment 653172View attachment 653171View attachment 653170
Sucks to hear it didn't work out.

A simpler approach may be more forgiving. I smoked a Turkey on new years eve and have days of eating on it to go but after maybe I'll do some smoked meatloaf, measure out my ingredients, and do a detailed writeup so there is an easy and simple recipe that folks can follow.

I got a good buddy from college that I showed how to make my meatloaf and he NAILED it every time. Did it better than me with my eyeballing. He has since forgot how to do it so I know he will appreciate having the recipe again :)

Sorry about your fail. Smoked meatloaf is one of our favorites. Guess you just gotta try for another one.

We smoke all of our meatloaf now. I tried that one with the cheese inside and my family didn't care for it.

Brian , like others have said
Poop happens, but that is what we do.
Try different things to see the outcome. Trust me they all don't work
But at least we try

" Forget the mistake
Remember the lesson "

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky