Meat, Smoke, and the Fire Dept.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Codymt

Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
Morning everyone. Just decided to cheaply upgrade to an offset smoker. Coming from an electric. I was able to get everything started up great. Quickly realizing im gonna need to seal off the chambers somewhere. But my biggest deal was the smoke. Theres so much of it. I think I smoked out my entire neaighborhood. I created a nice charcoal bed using a chimney. Which also created a shit load of smoke. I used small logs about the diameter of a soda can. I warmed them first, then placed 1 at a time over the charcoal (keeping only 1 log in the charcoal at a time). And thats when someone called the fire dept. It was no issue, but in reality should there be that much smoke coming from this thing? and how do i minimize it? I was thinking maybe not using a small log, maybe using chunks instead? I also, im in so cal, so im in a densely populated area.

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
Different wood might make a difference, kiln dried wont put out as much smoke/flavor

Just to be clear. You got a ton of smoke from your chimney when firing up the charcoal. Then more smoke from the offset as you added wood to your offset burner, correct?

Lump charcoal gives off less smoke on chimney startup than briquettes. Some briquettes give off a more acrid smoke on startup (Kingsford) than Royal Oak, Weber, or B&B.

If the wood you were using still had too high a moisture content, it will smoke like crazy. You can pick up a moisture meter for $20-$30 at one of the big box stores. It works best on splits.

The only time I've got any complaints from neighbors, and it usually involves slamming windows shut, is during hours/days when folks don't want to run their A/C because it is nice outside.

Last edited:
So I did use briquettes. I plan on switching to natural lump. My main concern was with the offset. I put the lot briquettes in the firebox and they smoked a little at first, so I waited. Then I put wood in, I used mesquite. After about a minute, the smoke became overwhelming. And that’s where it got ridiculous. I didn’t overload the firebox with wood or anything. I’m wondering if I didn’t have enough airflow and it began to smolder. Creating a ton of smoke.

did you close the firebox door right away after putting the split in ?? If so... next time leave the door open some until it flames up...

It would really help if we had pictures of the rig or at least a brand and model to look it up...

I think ya better invite the neighbors over for a bbq.
This surprisingly goes a long way and is particularly effective in cutting down complaints. No joke!
I’ve never invited anyone over but I have delivered bacon to neighbors. They loved it and I’ve had no complaints (and I smoke in a densely packed neighborhood in Japan).

Along with the other things mentioned above, keep in mind that a small hot fire will burn more efficiently than a large cool one.

Any chance that you partially smothered your charcoal when you added the smoke wood?

Your smoke chamber thermometer should let you know if your fire is cooling off.

Along with the other things mentioned above, keep in mind that a small hot fire will burn more efficiently than a large cool one.

Any chance that you partially smothered your charcoal when you added the smoke wood?

Your smoke chamber thermometer should let you know if your fire is cooling off.
I think this is probably what happened. I think I maybe smothered my charcoal, and to add to it I didn’t leave the lid or anything open to allow the smoke wood to catch. So I’m all honesty I probably smother everything. I’m gonna try again in the morning and start smaller than I did.

I think this is probably what happened. I think I maybe smothered my charcoal, and to add to it I didn’t leave the lid or anything open to allow the smoke wood to catch. So I’m all honesty I probably smother everything. I’m gonna try again in the morning and start smaller than I did.
You'll get it figured out. Have fun with it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky