Meat Slicer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
I'll be making my first Buckboard bacon next week and will eventually need a meat slicer.

How often will I use it, unknown but not real often.

What else will I use it for, unknow don't have any other plans.

Don't want to spend much so on amazon I just picked the highest reviewed with highest score item:

any reason this won't work? Is there a better option in the same ball park?

Chef’s Choice is very popular here. Don’t know because I bought the big guy from LEM the 10”. No complaints

I just decided I'm going to bite the bullet and buy the 10 inch LEM, and be done with it. Buy once, cry once, as they say.

I had a Chef’s Choice for a while. What drove me nuts about it was that you have to flip the bacon/ham/beef every 4-5 slices or this big meat tag develops. Even a partial freeze didn’t do the trick. But, I used it for years. It still beats hand slicing. Just watch that you don’t push too hard. If you do you will slowly increase the depth of the cut.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I had a Chef’s Choice for a while. What drove me nuts about it was that you have to flip the bacon/ham/beef every 4-5 slices or this big meat tag develops. Even a partial freeze didn’t do the trick. But, I used it for years. It still beats hand slicing. Just watch that you don’t push too hard. If you do you will slowly increase the depth of the cut.
On a whole belly, I may or may not need to flip, really it’s not necessary but the tag still does develop but to a much less degree than on other slicers For sure. The LEM is a fine machine, but a Berkel, Hobart or Globe, it’s just not.

Reactions: indaswamp
My chefs choice has served me well. Even better it was a gift from a forum member. It's a great choice for someone planning on using it several times or more a year. Keep it greased and you will be fine

I bought a low end slicer , and like said . Only using it a few times for bacon and or other smoked items. It is ok but not what I am used to using from when I worked in the food industry.
Mine is not a Hobart and I did not think at all that it would be. But i'm ok with that

Even the big Hobarts give you a nice skin flap, but they slice were you set them at,
mine like Sven Svensson Sven Svensson said if I push a little to hard it comes out thicker

If going for price , TNJAKE TNJAKE ,has us all beat...lol

David

Reactions: JLeonard
My chefs choice has served me well. Even better it was a gift from a forum member. It's a great choice for someone planning on using it several times or more a year. Keep it greased and you will be fine
Do you have the 615A or the stainless, I'm trying to figure out the difference.

I believe we have a Nesco as well...pretty sure it was a Christmas gift. It's served us well for years and sliced many lbs of bacon. I'm sure the one you posted will do just fine for you.
I am looking at upgrading...would love the Lem big 10", only thing holding me back is the weight.

Ryan

Reactions: GrumpyGriller
I am looking at upgrading...would love the Lem big 10", only thing holding me back is the weight.
Yea, be a pain to move around. Maybe thinking one of those wood top roll around cabinets from harbor freight to keep it on, and just roll it off out of the way when not using it.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I have the Nesco slicer w/ the serrated blade. We got it at Bed, Bath, & Beyond for $69. I use it on a weekly basis, primarily for slicing bacon/corned beef/pastrami and the like. I've also used it very successfully for roast beef (eye round) and it has more than met my particular needs. Would I like it to be a bit more commercial, sure, but I didn't expect a Hobart for $69.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky