Meat probe accuracy??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbq dreams

Original poster
May 30, 2017
Wildomar California
Hi, I'm smoking a pork butt on my pellet smoker and have a question regarding meat probe thermometer. I have a dual digital thermometer that I inserted both at 4 hours in to the cook. They registered 150-155. 9 hours in it's at 195 which is the temp I want pull, wrap and let it rest. So I checked with a hand held digital instant read thermometer and it is 180-185. My question is since the in meat thermometers have been in the smoker for 5 hours, will they heat up and give me a higher reading than the handheld?
Just some more information that might help answer my questions, I went through the stall starting at 169 through 175 degrees, it took just under 4 hours to climb 6 degrees then it climbed to 180-185 in about an hour. Since meat usually stalls at 160, I'm wondering if the in meat thermometers are giving me a reading of 10 degrees higher and I actually went through the stall at 160.

Last edited:
Two things... did your handheld instant read slide in like going into soft butter? Or it might not be quite done at 195. Secondly, you can test your instant read in ice water and boiling water to see if its accurate. All your probes should be checked this way but your other probes are kinda busy now.

Ryan

Reactions: sandyut
A pork butt can have varying temps depending on which muscle you get into. I would have wrapped at 165 or 170. From there the cook goes really fast. on't forget to keep the juices from the wrap and add to the pulled pork. This adds flavor and moisture to the final product.

Reactions: JLeonard
Two things... did your handheld instant read slide in like going into soft butter? Or it might not be quite done at 195. Secondly, you can test your instant read in ice water and boiling water to see if its accurate. All your probes should be checked this way but your other probes are kinda busy now.

Ryan
On the smaller side of the it goes in like butter. On the thicker side with the bone just slightly more resistant with the areas closer to the top or bottom really soft

A pork butt can have varying temps depending on which muscle you get into. I would have wrapped at 165 or 170. From there the cook goes really fast. on't forget to keep the juices from the wrap and add to the pulled pork. This adds flavor and moisture to the final product.
Thank you. I was debating on that. I did make a vinegar based sauce with brown sugar, salt pepper, ketchup and cayenne pepper and pepper flakes.

Hi, I'm smoking a pork butt on my pellet smoker and have a question regarding meat probe thermometer. I have a dual digital thermometer that I inserted both at 4 hours in to the cook. They registered 150-155. 9 hours in it's at 195 which is the temp I want pull, wrap and let it rest. So I checked with a hand held digital instant read thermometer and it is 180-185. My question is since the in meat thermometers have been in the smoker for 5 hours, will they heat up and give me a higher reading than the handheld?
Just some more information that might help answer my questions, I went through the stall starting at 169 through 175 degrees, it took just under 4 hours to climb 6 degrees then it climbed to 180-185 in about an hour. Since meat usually stalls at 160, I'm wondering if the in meat thermometers are giving me a reading of 10 degrees higher and I actually went through the stall at 160.

VERDICT

So I removed butt at 190 (manual probe) let it rest for one hour tightly wrapped with foil in cooler with kitchen towels on top. I pulled apart, it was a little tougher than I would like, probably right on the threshold between like butter and slightly harder, I was trying not to overcook since I don't like mush butt 🤔. So in the end my in meat thermometer is reading 10 degrees higher than my handheld instant read probe.

The flavor was incredible. Not my recipe btw. Just putting together recipes from the internet. I also used stubbs original bbq sauce on top of the vinegar sauce I made.
Overall cook time 10 hrs at 250
Rest for 1 hour

Next time I will modify my cook i.e. I will wrap at 160. Keep the drippings and put back once pulled. Pull out at 200 let rest for 1 hour, I may use a water pan.
Below are pictures of final product:

Attachments

• 20210725_145644.jpg
    20210725_145644.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Reactions: Displaced Texan
VERDICT

So I removed butt at 190 (manual probe) let it rest for one hour tightly wrapped with foil in cooler with kitchen towels on top. I pulled apart, it was a little tougher than I would like, probably right on the threshold between like butter and slightly harder, I was trying not to overcook since I don't like mush butt 🤔.

Next time I will modify my cook i.e. I will wrap at 160. Keep the drippings and put back once pulled. Pull out at 200 let rest for 1 hour, I may use a water pan.
Below are pictures of final product:
RUB
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup kosher salt
4 tablespoon paprika
2 tablespoons black pepper
1/2 tablespoon cumin
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

SAUCE
2 cups apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon ketchup
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt

Attachments

• 20210725_151346.jpg
    20210725_151346.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Pull out leave in therm and slide in the instant read therm in the same hole till you feel resistance to get to the same reading spot if both therms are calibrated, then try different areas with instant and go by the lowest temp. I don't mess with a cooler if it's going to be eaten within four hours. Wrap and sit at room temp with a therm in it. If it gets close to 140 IT and still not ready, then hold in an oven at 140 till ready to counter rest before pulling etc. I'll use a cooler if hauling somewhere or still using the smoker for other food. Newspaper is a great insulator if you use a cooler and fill the air space with crumpled newspaper, then no laundry to do afterwards. If you go to cooking till tender, the leave in therm will tell you to probe for tenderness with intant read therm for ribs, butts and brisket at 198-200+ without looking at the temp on the instant read. When no resistance pushing in or gripping pulling out then done, if not check in a couple more degrees of the leave in therm. What I don't do is a mandatory cooler rest for 1+ hours wrapped at 205 IT. I want it to start coming down from ludicrous heat. After all it's tender and done waiting for you to eat it. Insulate it after the temp drops 30 degrees from 203 if it appears to be cooling at room temp more quickly than expected. That way your not waiting for it to cool to work with it from being insulated so it waits for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbq dreams
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky