Meat Lockers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokebuzz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 14, 2006
IOWA!!
Not trying to start a war, but has anyone found a locker that can cut cattle or hogs up to where they're a decent cut?
I've only found 3 lockers around central Iowa that sells across the counter. Of those 3 i've dealt with 1 personally. Was great flavored quality meat, but the cut of everything i got was pretty bad. It seems like they don't know how many people smoke meat in Iowa, and figure it's going in a crock pot or oven. I've heard good about the new locker in Guthery Center, not made the trek yet to check them out.

Don't have any experience with any but I found a few. You just looking to buy meat from a locker? Or did you need one processed as well?
Still live in Nevada? Not sure how far you want to travel but here's some...

J & J Custom Meats, Whittemore

Skoglund Meat & Locker, West Bend. I believe all they sell are meat sticks, jerky, and summer sausage. Meat sticks are really good!

Ruthven Locker, Ruthven. Also a 2nd store in Spirit Lake

Stanhope Locker & Market, probably the closest to you of any of these if you're still in Nevada.
Not sure if this helps you or not. I think the Ruthven Locker said it would ship to you... or the cost of that. If I want tri tip I have to drive to a Locker in Orange City.

Ryan

Lockers that can sell across the counter are USDA inspected. Other lockers may be state inspected, but that’s a whole nother thing And can only process your animal for you, on a “no sale“ basis.

Places I use can do both USDA and non-USDA if you don't plan on selling the meat.

I've had hogs done at place that only process, didn't end well, I've bought over the counter at 2 places, wasn't good. It seems like none of them know anything about what a person would do with the meat, other than a crockpot. 1 place i bought meat from cut briskets in half, not separated just in half. The other place had briskets trimmed so lean it wouldn't have made good burger. And Stanhope is fair at best... Iowa meat lockers specialize in sticks ,bologna, and sausage..

I've had hogs done at place that only process, didn't end well, I've bought over the counter at 2 places, wasn't good. It seems like none of them know anything about what a person would do with the meat, other than a crockpot.
Keep looking. The processors I use butcher the same cuts as you'd find in the store. I tell them how I want it cut, they do it.

Guess you can either keep trying or process your own. We do our own pigs, don't have beef... not quite set up for anything that big.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky