MB200077618 Chip tray

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jackschmidling

Original poster
Sep 1, 2022
Just bought a new smoker and have a question abut it.

It's a Master Built analog, smaller version.

The chip tray has a lid on it, the purpose for which draws a complete blank.

Any help?

Jack Schmidling
Marengo, Il.

Hey Jack and welcome to SMF from SE GA !
Many MES users here to help.
Can you post a pic of the lid ?

Keith

welcome to the forum from Minnesota, enjoy your time here!! picture of it would definitely help to see whats what

If memory serves me correctly the chip tray in the analog sits more or less on the burner. The lid helps prevent the chips from igniting and also keeps all the drippings from hitting the chips.

Reactions: chopsaw
I have the same unit, but I modified and never actually used the chip ray. But if i remember correctly, it's made to prevent drippings from falling on the chips, while also keeping the chips from being smothered out.

Reactions: zwiller
never actually used the chip ray.
Me either. Welcome Jack. Not sure if you've been lurking but would say most of us here are running a tray or tube. Acronym is AMNPS Amazen pellet smoker. I get around 12hrs from pellets in the tray and 4-5 from a tube. Not my video and did not watch the whole thing but covers the basics.

Welcome to the forum Jack.
These guys have you covered.

If memory serves me correctly the chip tray in the analog sits more or less on the burner. The lid helps prevent the chips from igniting and also keeps all the drippings from hitting the chips.
Thanks for all the help.

I have a 4 lb "ribeye butt" (whatever that is) in the smoker now but had to make all sorts of changes to make it work at all. This is typical around here... everything I buy needs to be re-designed.

This thing made near zero smoke at less than 150F and that is too hot for my most of my needs

I removed the rack that holds the water and chip trays so I could set the chip tray directly on the heater element. This help a lot but still not the amount of smoke I want sometimes.

I removed the second shelf and replaced this with a tray big enough to catch anything drippings. This things seems like a disaster waiting to happen as far as catching drip is concerned but I solved that with a bigger tray.

I found another (possibly the real) reason for covering the chip tray.

After checking out the Maze thing, I thought I would see if I couldn't just go in there occasionally and give it a boost with a lighter on the chips.

Very bad idea. The whole tray bust into flames as though I had poured gas on it.

Apparently, the stuff was so close to ignition temps that an open flame produced near explosion. A cover could prevent this but I don't how the smoke could get out or enough air to get in but it would not be a fire hazard.

Made a new cover with some vents and this seems to work.

I think I will end up with a ham but it still needs lots of work.

Jack

Is this the chip tray/lid you're referring to ?
Screenshot_20220902-235706_Chrome.jpg
It looks like there's a gap to allow the smoke to escape. But the A-Maz-N tray or tube will give you plenty of smoke.
I always use a drip pan on the bottom rack for easy cleanups.
And are you smoking beef or pork?
What temps do you prefer to smoke at if 150 is too high?

Keith

Is this the chip tray/lid you're referring to ?
View attachment 642665
It looks like there's a gap to allow the smoke to escape. But the A-Maz-N tray or tube will give you plenty of smoke.
I always use a drip pan on the bottom rack for easy cleanups.
And are you smoking beef or pork?
What temps do you prefer to smoke at if 150 is too high?

Keith
I see that now and just set it without all my "fixes".

Am running at 200 now to finish and it works great but don't know how it will work at lower temps. It's a pork shoulder ham.

I like to smoke most of my stuff at around 130 to give it lots of time to smoke and it's high enough for fish to finish.

One problem now be be that it is in the barn and pretty warm during the day so it doesn't take much to keep it at 130. Probably work much better in Winter.

Will probably get that amazing thing but prefer to work it out myself.

Jack

J jackschmidling
Here is a lengthy wirte up I did on my modifications to the Masterbuilt analog.

J jackschmidling
Here is a lengthy wirte up I did on my modifications to the Masterbuilt analog.

Good stuff. Search as I might, can not find out what PID stands for. I understand the technology but the acronym is a mystery.

I am now smoking some shrimp and smelt and am about to revert to my open pit and inverted garbage can.

Aside from temp problems, it is nonsense to have to open the door to add or check on the smoke pan. And then, figure out a way to refill it without sliding out the whole rack.

I cut a 2" hole in the top center as it's need is so obvious but I do not understand why you took all the trouble to put a stack on it. I can see smoke coming out when it smokes so I don't have to deal with the door and chip pan unless it stops smoking.

As a point of interest, my previous smoker was a Little Chief in which I replaced the element with one for the Big Chief and it did everything I wanted to for years.

Jack

PID =Proportional Integral derivative

As described in an earlier post, the smoke tube or tray will eliminate the need to add chips. Provides constant TBS for hrs with no reloading.

Keith

Reactions: zwiller
Just bought a new smoker and have a question abut it.

It's a Master Built analog, smaller version.

The chip tray has a lid on it, the purpose for which draws a complete blank.

Any help?

Jack Schmidling
Marengo, Il.
In the middle of smoking a summer sausage and this thing is still driving me nuts.

What a dumb design.

It occurs to me that the major problem is caused by the fact that the temp sensor is mounted within a few inches of the heating element.

As soon as I finish this sausage, I am going to pull the whole heater module out and see if there is any reason not to snip the cable to the sensor and run it out, around and back down into a hole in the top.

Anyone ever do this?

Jack

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky