MB Gravity 1050 ash bin door switch

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

2Scoops

Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
Hi all,

Mid - smoke of a pork butt my temps started dropping. No matter what I tried the fan would not turn on. The issue is the switch on the ash bin door unfortunately. If I physically hold the switch down (with the door open) or close the door and physically clamp it closed with my hands the fan will engage. I've emailed MB for guidance but thought I would see if anyone here has experienced this. Any workaround or ideas?

Thanks!

Wanted to add that I've tried CRC contact cleaner and that's not doing it. I just don't think the door actually pushes the switch down far enough.

I have seen a lot of threads that folks had the same issue, switches are junk these days, not just on smokers, bought a good Braun power vent and light switches are junk from the start

Yes, the switches are crap. My ash bin door switch failed, so they replaced it - the replacement switch was bad from the start, and I assumed it wasn't - so I went through the ringer trying to find other problems. Turns out their replacement part had an issue too.

Masterbuilt will get you a new switch but it's taking them several weeks to ship things out right now - a little frustrating if you want to use it.

I wrote a detailed post with the troubleshooting steps I took, though it seems you have isolated the problem which is the most difficult part so I am not sure if my post will be helpful or not.

If your issue is that the door is not pressing the piston on the switch down far enough to make contact then you can try to tighten the latch on the ash bin door so the "close" position pushes the switch piston a little further in. Or you can tape down the piston and bypass it.

It's interesting that you had almost the exact same problem I did. My smoker would come up to temp, cook for about 10-15 minutes, then drop temps. Sound familiar?

Reactions: jcam222
Yes, the switches are crap. My ash bin door switch failed, so they replaced it - the replacement switch was bad from the start, and I assumed it wasn't - so I went through the ringer trying to find other problems. Turns out their replacement part had an issue too.

Masterbuilt will get you a new switch but it's taking them several weeks to ship things out right now - a little frustrating if you want to use it.

I wrote a detailed post with the troubleshooting steps I took, though it seems you have isolated the problem which is the most difficult part so I am not sure if my post will be helpful or not.

If your issue is that the door is not pressing the piston on the switch down far enough to make contact then you can try to tighten the latch on the ash bin door so the "close" position pushes the switch piston a little further in. Or you can tape down the piston and bypass it.

It's interesting that you had almost the exact same problem I did. My smoker would come up to temp, cook for about 10-15 minutes, then drop temps. Sound familiar?

Thanks fo sharing your VERY similar experience. I emailed MB last night so we’ll see what they say about a replacement. They’ve already replaced another part for me. The communication was quick but it took them several weeks to actually ship the part.

I thought about taping the pin down but won’t I need some really heat resistant tape? Duct tape goes up to 200 ish I think. I also thought about wedging something in there but doing that every time I open the door seems tedious.

I actually am loving the smoker…. when it works.

I actually am loving the smoker…. when it works.

Yes, it's very frustrating. It has cranked out the best food I've ever cooked, but the reliability is quite concerning.

I am considering removing their switches and replacing them with a bank of toggle switches, which they (or more accurately, their lawyers) very much said was a bad idea.

I saw people writing articles about bypassing the switches which I would do if I lived alone. But sometimes my wife/son are overseeing the cook if I’m not home and don’t want them leaving the doors open accidentally.

As for installing a bank of switches, you are clearly more skilled than I am!

Reactions: mcokevin
I saw people writing articles about bypassing the switches which I would do if I lived alone. But sometimes my wife/son are overseeing the cook if I’m not home and don’t want them leaving the doors open accidentally.

As for installing a bank of switches, you are clearly more skilled than I am!
I think that is the right call - I would not bypass them if anyone else is using the smoker. If people aren't aware of the operating procedure that could get quite dangerous without the automatic fail safe. If you are running above ~350 things can go downhill quickly if you let it get away from you.

I may compromise and bypass only the ash bin switch, and leave the hopper lid switch in place. The hopper lid open is the really critical safety feature. If that is open with the fan blowing you will create a fireball very quickly.

Hi all,

Mid - smoke of a pork butt my temps started dropping. No matter what I tried the fan would not turn on. The issue is the switch on the ash bin door unfortunately. If I physically hold the switch down (with the door open) or close the door and physically clamp it closed with my hands the fan will engage. I've emailed MB for guidance but thought I would see if anyone here has experienced this. Any workaround or ideas?

Thanks!
Hey scoops is it a switch issue or a door alignment issue ?
Could you adjust the door ?

Reactions: dow
MB responded to my email saying they will send me a new door/switch kit. It will ship in 7-10 days.

Hey scoops is it a switch issue or a door alignment issue ?
Could you adjust the door ?

Good question - from what I can tell the switch is working but the door closure won’t press the pin in far enough to engage. I did play around with the alignment a bit and didn’t make any progress but going to try it again this weekend when I have a bit more time. It seems like the design is suboptimal.

Last night my first priority was rescuing dinner. I’m going to post about it in another sub as it has me scratching my head beyond just the door issue.

Good question - from what I can tell the switch is working but the door closure won’t press the pin in far enough to engage. I did play around with the alignment a bit and didn’t make any progress but going to try it again this weekend when I have a bit more time. It seems like the design is suboptimal.

Last night my first priority was rescuing dinner. I’m going to post about it in another sub as it has me scratching my head beyond just the door issue.
If the door isn't pushing the button all the way in, and the door is in alighment, then you could tape or glue a little spacer to the door where it touches the button so it would push the button farther in. That has the advantage of being quick, easy, and cheap. You could use a penny, or a stack of small washers, or just about anything that would push the button down further.

Reactions: 912smoker
Or a small magnet that wouldn't require any additional adhesive. Just stick it on the door corner and cook

Reactions: dow
Or a small magnet that wouldn't require any additional adhesive. Just stick it on the door corner and cook

One of the reasons I got away from electric smokers and went with standard charcoal smokers like Weber smokey mountain and kamados,too many variables to go wrong inthe middle of a good cook.Charcoal,Once you dial it in they maintain temps very consistent.Just my experience as I had trouble with my electric also.Good luck in your repair

One of the reasons I got away from electric smokers and went with standard charcoal smokers like Weber smokey mountain and kamados,too many variables to go wrong inthe middle of a good cook.Charcoal,Once you dial it in they maintain temps very consistent.Just my experience as I had trouble with my electric also.Good luck in your repair
I switched over from a WSM to the gravity fed series because of how convenient it is to smoke on the gravity fed unit. I don't have a ton of time, and the ability for the smoker to run itself while I work from home or something like that is very appealing. You are right though that not much can go wrong with a standard charcoal bullet or kamodo smoker, and if something does go wrong it's probably your fault :emoji_laughing:

When I retire in ~25 years or so I will buy myself a Lang. Then I'll have all the time in the world to do it the way I want to.

Reactions: 912smoker
I have the exact issue with my 800. Thanks for posting this. The food these smokers produce is amazing.

Following up on my OP. I placed a small magnet on the door to help create some additional push on the pin. It worked perfectly and had zero issues doing ribs this weekend. Appreciate all the input!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky