MB Electric and salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gt1900

Original poster
Nov 22, 2022
I purchased a MB20070421 30” electric smoker, mostly for doing salmon. Today was the first day, and I was sorely disappointed in its performance. I couldn’t get it to produce smoke to save my life at 130-140 degrees. Crank it up to 150-160 and instantly got smoke, but that’s much hotter than I like to start my salmon. I bought the MB over the Bradley just to save a little money, but I might be kicking myself as we’ve never had an issue creating smoke with my Dads Bradley at 120-130. Is there anything I can do to get smoke at lower temps with the MB, or should I send it down the road and just get a Bradley?

TIA

Look around here for the "mailbox mod". Or you can try a pellet tube or tray. I do think Bradley makes a great smoker, but the pucks are pricey. You can make the MB work for your needs.

One quick and easy thing you could try for low temp smoke production is to pull the chip loader tube out about an inch or so to improve the air flow.
Other than that, B BigW. and smokerjim smokerjim have pointed you in the right direction with the mailbox mod and/or pellet tube.

Reactions: tallbm
Yes for Mailbox mod which will help your warm Salmon smoke but also in case you want to do some cold lox smoking, cheese smoking, etc.

Reactions: tallbm
Could you just use the MB cold smoker attachment for the smoke, and set the smoker for the temps you need, or does the cold smoker only work for cold smoking?

I purchased a MB20070421 30” electric smoker, mostly for doing salmon. Today was the first day, and I was sorely disappointed in its performance. I couldn’t get it to produce smoke to save my life at 130-140 degrees. Crank it up to 150-160 and instantly got smoke, but that’s much hotter than I like to start my salmon. I bought the MB over the Bradley just to save a little money, but I might be kicking myself as we’ve never had an issue creating smoke with my Dads Bradley at 120-130. Is there anything I can do to get smoke at lower temps with the MB, or should I send it down the road and just get a Bradley?

TIA
Hi there and welcome!

I'm right there with the guys on the mailbox mod.

If you don't want to full with that much work just buy a pellet tube and you should be able to put it directly into your MES where it wont get dripped on and it should do the problem since it needs way less oxygen then the pellet trays need.

Having smoke generate independent of heat generation is a game changer. Also 1 bag of pellets used this way will last you forever!

I hope this info helps :)

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky